Sign in with
Your question

GA-G31M-S2L takes 10 minutes to boot

Last response: in Motherboards
May 11, 2008 5:18:52 AM

I just finished putting together a new system using a Gigabyte GA-G31M-S2L microatx board. It booted just fine the first 10 times or so, but now it is hanging at the very beginning of the POST process, presumably doing a RAM test. It'll sit there for 10 minutes or so, then boot into windows (which performs just fine). If you try to enter the bios menu, it still takes 10 minutes before it'll open that for you. I've tried resetting the cmos, taking out a stick of ram, resetting to factory bios settings, etc. No change.

Anyone have any experience with this sort of behavior? I don't reset my PC much, but this is pretty unacceptable for a new build.

It's got a E8400 CPU, Gforce 9600 GT GPU, 2 gigs of PC800 ram, and is running Vista, if that matters.
May 11, 2008 5:48:25 AM

Once you get it runnin test your ram with memtest86.
May 11, 2008 6:38:08 AM

Boot after each step.
1. If you haven't already, try both sticks, one at a time, in more than one slot.
2. Remove all additional peripherals plugged into the rear I/O e.g., printers USB etc.
3. Remove all drives CD/DVD and HD except the boot drive.
4. Remove boot HD.
5. Remove all mobo Header connections e.g., sound, USB, firewire, eSata.
6. Remove 9600GT and enable onboard video.

This should allow you to determine if any of the components are causing the hang.
!