Overheating Q6600

Nutter281

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2007
Hi everyone, I just wanted to post and hope that someone could help me with a problem that I am having. I built a computer for my friend, had it all up and running, Q6600 coupled with Asus P5K-E motherboard (P35 chipset) and all was great until he decided he instead wanted the same motherboard with Wi-Fi built into it. No problem, we bought the new motherboard, I put it all back together and the CPU temp was hovering around 57 C which is obviously a problem. With the old board it was around 40 C. It is just stock heat sink, which I cannot describe my hatred towards Intel for the locking mechanisms on those. I used arctic silver thermal paste, and I made double sure the heat sink was attached firmly to the motherboard. After this failed, I RMA'd the motherboard, got the new one, and am having the same problem. Could at some point I have damaged the internal head spreader on the CPU or something that would cause this? The heatsink is rigid with board and the lugs are by all appearances tight. Does anyone have any suggestions? I would appreciate any help, thanks!

Austin

endyen

Splendid
What did you use to clean the old thermal interface material from the heatsink and chip? If you left small cruddy bits, they would form very small air pockets, which would seriously hinder the transfer of heat.

jackieboy

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2006
I would flash the bios and don't trust what the mobo tells you.....take a reading...if you can't then I would say that its fine

I don't pay much attention to BIOS heat readings, they can be far, far from accurate. The same processor and heatsink will read different for every different board you install it on. If you are certain that you cleaned the heatsink and cpu really well, applied the new paste and mounted the heatsink correctly, it's probably just fine.

Few thing here. I have the same mobo and my Q6600 @ 3GHz will only hit 55c from like 5 hours of P95.

What HSF are you using?

Whats the voltage for yyour CPU set to. If its too high temps will be high. ALso update the BIOS as well. I have yet to have my BIOS temp to not match any programs or my external temp probe.

And your CPU is not "overheating". Its just running a bit hotter than before.

BTW is that idle or under load?

jharold

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2008
i had same processor(q6600 oc @ 3GHz) and i got 59c after playing 12 hours of crysis, but i didn't encounter that problem. did you tried to update bios? or did you change the voltage of your processor?

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
I think the stock HS is crap, I'd get a 3rd party with a back plate, or other then the 4 push pins.

I haven't been pushing my system today, and its idle temp is 31C, it's max for today is 38C, if your going by the Tcase. The cores max idle today is 40C, but average 32/35C.

And to me, that's pretty good since my room temp is 80F atm. :sweat:

Same for me. Although my room temp is about 86-90f :sweat: :sweat:

But my CPU still stays cool although my video card is starting to need the fan a bit more.