armless

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2008
Hey guys, I am planning to build a new computer to take with me to college. My parents will be paying for this build and I have a 800 dollar budget. I just wanted to see what you guys think of my current build and see if the build is compatible. I am no computer expert, but I have a bit of knowledge of computers. Since I do not need the computer until college which is like half a year I will be trying to get most of my parts while they are on sale or have rebates.

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-MA78GM-S2H AM2+/AM2 AMD 780G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ Brisbane 2.6GHz 2x512KB L2 Cache Socket AM2 65W Dual-Core Black Edition Processor
CPU Heatsink: ZEROtherm Nirvana NV120 120mm 2-ball UFO Bearing/Transparent CPU Cooler
Power Supply: CORSAIR VX450W 450W Active PFC & 80 Plus Certified ATX Power Supply
Memory: G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory
Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda ES.2 ST3250310NS 250GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
Case: Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
DVD/Cd Drive: LITE-ON Black 20X DVD/CD Writer
Video Card: SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 3850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 Video Card
Monitor: Hanns·G HW-191DPB Black 19" 5ms Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 700:1 Built in Speakers

I don't do much gaming on my computer. The most graphic intensive game I play is WoW.

I have a few worries about my current build
1) I have heard that the Antec 900 has the PSU on the bottom and I wondering if the wires on the PSU can reach the harddrives and other components.
2) I have read reviews that the heatsink I chose was quite massive and I was wondering if it would get in the way of other parts on the motherboard, especially the RAM.

Any suggestions and comments would be appreciated. Thanks

hughyhunter

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
Looks good!

Why do you want AMD? Is there a particular reason you dont want Intel?

Video card is a good choice... stick with it.

Avoid monitors with built in speakers... what are you paying for? The monitor or the speakers? Thinkaboutit!

Case: I have the same case. You wont have any problems no matter what PSU you get trust me!

Good hard drive... stick with it too!

Come on! You can afford faster memory!

Do you want to overclock? If not than dont worry to much about how big a HSF you get. If you are worried about it get a thermalright. They are the best hands down. Or look at the Zalman.

I dont know if I like the mobo. Get a the 790FX... go mow a lawn or two. You wont regret it. Besides the one you picked was micro ATX. Why get a smaller mobo when you have a large case?

chuckm

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2007
Get this cooler;
http://www.jab-tech.com/Xigmatek-HDT-S1283-Heat-pipe-Direct-Touch-Universal-CPU-Cooler-pr-4097.html

Good deal on 2gig of Ballistix;
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820146565

Best deal on the power supply that I know of;
http://www.buy.com/prod/Corsair-VX-450w-Power-Supply/q/loc/101/205466485.html

Gotta agree, you can do an Intel build on the same budget. Here's what I'd buy today if I had the rest of the $.
http://secure.newegg.com/NewVersion/wishlist/PublicWishDetail.asp?WishListNumber=3445649
I've already got a VX550 PSU from buy.com. This by no means a suggestion on what to buy, just what you can do with an Intel build with the budget you have. In fact you could get the Gigabyte DS3L and save about $50 right from the start.
If you leave everything else in your list the same, the mother board I mentioned would save you $10. You can get the E2160 CPU for $70, of course then you have to buy a video card, but the performance would probably be better than on board, depending on the card you choose.

armless

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2008
Hey thanks for the quick reply.

Well, There isn't a particular reason why I didn't choose Intel. The reason I choose the CPU was because the review I read on Tom's Hardware. Since I am not expert with computers it really got me seeing how easy it was to OC the 5000+ black edition to 3GHz with a stock cooler.

The only reason I chose the monitor was because it was the cheapest 19in I found. I didn't buy it yet but the current price on Newegg is 169.99. I probably won't get this monitor if I can find a better deal later on.

I am a total noob when it comes to memory. I really need suggestions on the memory department.

I will definitely take a look at some other motherboard. One of my friend suggested the board I chose previously.

chuckm

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2007
You can do the same exact thing with the 2160 and it's easy to do with that board. I also think you'll have better options for CPU upgrades with a P35 based Intel build.

fatcat

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2005
If over clocking is in order, I would buy a 2180 CPU, not that much more expensive and a better chance of getting a good OC'er.

IH8U

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2007

hughyhunter

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007

I agree with these two posts

This is true too. I have a buddy that has a laptop and all he does is play WOW on it. But if you want to get into overclocking as a hobby than that's not the way to go. You will understand computers and have more fun with it if you build it IMO.

zyberwoof

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2006
Not sure how much that monitor is, but you can often find a 22" LCD for ~$200. I got two of them last August for that much.

It may not sound like it when you compare 22" to 19", but the 22" has 33% more surface area.

Also, $150 for a graphics card seems like overkill if all you play is WoW. If you think there is a decent chance you will play some newer games in the near future then that is fine. But if not, I think you could get a $50 card and spend the left over on a better CPU or more RAM.

Or, best choice of all would be to get an external HDD and make sure it runs at least a nightly backup, maybe even more often for your "My Documents" folder. That way if your computer decides to take a vacation you can still access your school work and go work on a friend's/campus computer. I'm in college right now. Trust me, you will have technical difficulties.

rockbyter

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2008
best way to store homework is a thumb drive, or email it to yourself using hotmail or other email service. stays online and you've got a couple GB.

good ram, good processor, fine mobo, more than enough video card, but if you dont need it until 6 months from now, wait a couple of months and you can buy the same system for half the price, or at least you will have a good selection of quad core options which will get you through college without needing a major upgrade

armless

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2008
Well, now that all of you guys seem to recommend Intel CPUs instead I am really leaning toward a Intel CPU and board now. The main reason why I chose the 5000+ Black Edition was because the multiplier was unlocked which would be pretty easy for me to overclock since I am not that good with computers. I was wondering if the E2160 and the E2180 is just as easy to over clock. Another thing was that the 5000+ Black edition would be over clocked to about 3.0GHz with the stock cooler. I was wondering what the E2160 and E2180 could do with the heatsink I am getting. Would any of you guys also suggest some ATX size P35 chipset boards?

The monitor that I mentioned earlier goes for about 169.99 on newegg. As I mentioned I am on a budget, so I don't want to spend too much for a monitor.

For the graphics card, I might want to play some new games that aren't as graphic intensive. Probably starcraft 2, but that game probably isn't coming out anytime soon.

I think I will get an external HDD in the future with my own money.

My brother got a laptop last year for college but for some reason I just don't really like laptops. I know they are portable and all, but for some reason I just love to tinker with a desktop instead.

hughyhunter

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
Get this monitor instead: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009091 winner of customer choice award and your not paying extra for speakers knowing that the quality.

Get this mobo... overclocks to heaven and back! http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128059

Get this proc http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115030
With the extra money you save on the mobo you will be happy with this proc... It's higher FSB will allow you to overclock it very nicely. 3150mhz will be very easy to achieve with very little voltage increase.

Get this memory instead... with the mail in rebate you wont be spending too much more. It's faster too....! 1066mhz! :bounce: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148069
Stick with the HD3850 512mb version. You will be regretting changing that later when your friends get into an awesome game and you want to play but you cant because you didnt get a good enough GPU.

Oh and for HSF... you can stick with stock one for now and later when you save a few bucks by not eating pizza and drinking beer you can get a good one like a thermalright or something.

armless

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2008
Hey, I love the new monitor that you suggested. I think I will be getting that monitor now. Also, love the mobo that you recommended too, but I think the CPU is a bit for my budget. I think I'm going to get the E2160 since I read some reviews of it being OC to 3.0GHz with the stock cooler. I will also go for the memory that you suggested especially with the rebate. I think I will hold on to buying a 3rd party heatsink and stick the the stock heatsink the E2160 provides and see how the temps are. Thanks for all the input. =)

chuckm

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2007

Not always. I've read on different boards where people are having to really pump the volts to the 2180 and some of them just don't seem to do very well. I think it's like everything else, luck of the draw. I'm still undecided on this issue, if the $50 deal on the 2180 hadn't sold out, there wouldn't be any doubt.

You won't need DDR2 1066 ram, stick with the 800 with your budget.

amd_fanboi

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2008

QFT.

this 3ghz on stock volts is a myth IMO, and i suffered for it... i have to exceed stock volts by .1V to get a 3 ghz OC.

that said, i'm guessing both processors work out being pretty much the same when OCed.

lolitha

Distinguished
May 24, 2006
as a college student i am using my laptop more than my desktop . coz when i have to do group assignments laptop becomes useful. specially when you have to go to friends place and work.Anyway if you are buying a desktop you can get more performance than a laptop for the amount you are going to spend

pat

Expert
Your first idea was a very good one. The 780 chipset is very capable on the integrated graphic side, and coupled with the 5000+ should fit your need very good. Intel CPu might be good, but on the motherboard side. you'll have to get a separate video card as Intel chipset are not that good.

You'll be able to get a bigger HDD or more RAM, as with new OS, it is what matter most. Maybe a better monitor too, or software.

For OC, the 5000+ is very good, and multiplier will allow you to get decent score without getting faster RAM, which will cost more.

And the 780G chipset will allow you to do hybrid Crossfire, with a cheap video card if ever needed.

But, as you said, you will not need it for like 6 month, just get the money, save it, the in 6 month, you will surely get something better for the same price, so get your money and buy everything when ready.