Yet another antenna question

Last response: in Home Theatre
July 18, 2005 7:28:03 AM

I have yet another antenna question.

I currently have my PC set up to receive HDTV (via an ATI HDWonder). I am using the antenna provided with the card, which is an indoor directional UHF type without any amplification.

I live in Louisville, KY approx. 10 miles from most of the towers (at 311 degrees on the compass), although some are in the opposite direction. None are further than 15 miles, at least according to AntennaWeb.org.

Currently, where I live, there are some large trees on a hill between me and the majority of the transmission towers. In fact, in order to receive any signal, I have the antenna pointed almost exactly 180 degrees opposite the transmission towers. Even in this configuration, I only receive channels 3, 32, and 68 perfectly, with the others going in and out with quite a few ghost signals on channels that don't exist.

So, my question is, can anyone recommend a good indoor antenna (I live in an apartment building, so any type of stand mounted outdoor antenna is out of the question, however an unobtrusive outdoor antenna that could be mounted under the eaves would probably be okay with the landlord). Also, should I even try to amplify the signal or is this an exercise in futility this close to the transmission towers?

Thanks in advance,

Dan the Man

More about : antenna question

Anonymous
July 18, 2005 7:28:04 AM

I have read a lot of good things about the Zenith Silver Sensor. The
Winegard Square Shooter may be a good choice for you too. I have seen
mixed reviews on that, but at your distance it may be ok. You may or
may not need an amp. Try either antenna without one first you can
always add it later, or take it back if you don't need it. (should you
purchase it at the same time as the antenna)

--
rockaway1836, Posted this message at http://www.SatelliteGuys.US
Anonymous

BC, he is in an apartment building. The law states that you can put up
an antenna in an area that you have EXCLUSIVE USE OF like a terrace.

--
rockaway1836, Posted this message at http://www.SatelliteGuys.US
Related resources

"Dan the Man" <tchaos713@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I have yet another antenna question.
>
> I currently have my PC set up to receive HDTV (via an ATI HDWonder). I am
> using the antenna provided with the card, which is an indoor directional
> UHF type without any amplification.
>
> I live in Louisville, KY approx. 10 miles from most of the towers (at 311
> degrees on the compass), although some are in the opposite direction.
> None are further than 15 miles, at least according to AntennaWeb.org.
>
> Currently, where I live, there are some large trees on a hill between me
> and the majority of the transmission towers. In fact, in order to receive
> any signal, I have the antenna pointed almost exactly 180 degrees opposite
> the transmission towers. Even in this configuration, I only receive
> channels 3, 32, and 68 perfectly, with the others going in and out with
> quite a few ghost signals on channels that don't exist.
>
> So, my question is, can anyone recommend a good indoor antenna (I live in
> an apartment building, so any type of stand mounted outdoor antenna is out
> of the question, however an unobtrusive outdoor antenna that could be
> mounted under the eaves would probably be okay with the landlord). Also,
> should I even try to amplify the signal or is this an exercise in futility
> this close to the transmission towers?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Dan the Man
>

> --------------= Posted using GrabIt =----------------
> ------= Binary Usenet downloading made easy =---------
> -= Get GrabIt for free from http://www.shemes.com/ =-

From my experience don't waste your time and money trying to amplify a
signal that isn't there. Why amplify a signal from a small antenna when you
could just get a bigger antenna? If you have an attic you could try the
Channel Master 4221 4bay bowtie. It is a very powerful UHF antenna and will
reach out about 40 miles even in the attic and it costs $35. Use RG6 cable
with no splitters or cable connectors (just the one for the antenna) as they
add noise and lower signal strength.

Federal law prohibits the land lord from barring your use of an antenna. I
have an attic and I avoided any friction with codes by installing it there
with a rotator. Most of my towers are 10 miles or less with one 23 miles
northeast and another 39 miles south. Signal strength is also affected by
the output power of the station. Some are quite low at this stage.
Sometimes the broadcast antenna isn't all of the way at the top of the tower
for the HD too so that makes it lower on the horizon and more chances of it
being blocked.

BC
July 18, 2005 12:04:24 PM

rockaway1836 wrote:
> I have read a lot of good things about the Zenith Silver Sensor. The
> Winegard Square Shooter may be a good choice for you too. I have seen
> mixed reviews on that, but at your distance it may be ok. You may or
> may not need an amp. Try either antenna without one first you can
> always add it later, or take it back if you don't need it. (should you
> purchase it at the same time as the antenna)

From looking at the pictures, I think the Zenith Silver Sensor, the
Philips Silver Sensor, and the antenna that came with the HDTV Wondor
card are the same thing. And a think there even more brands with small
changes to the base.

I live 27 miles for the local antenna farm with a clear line of view
with the exception of a few local trees. I tried an amplified Radio
Shack 15-1880 (which has a few good reviews) and it was worse. YMMV.

By playing around a bit, I found it was easier to locate a good location
for the antenna by conecting to the analog stations and judging the
reception from the amount of snow -- the on or off reception of the HD
signal does not provide enough feedback.

Roger
July 18, 2005 6:45:44 PM

"rockaway1836" <rockaway1836.1scoby@satelliteguys.us> wrote in message

> BC, he is in an apartment building. The law states that you can put up
> an antenna in an area that you have EXCLUSIVE USE OF like a terrace.
>

> --
> rockaway1836, Posted this message at http://www.SatelliteGuys.US

Some apartments have attic access too. Either way I suggest the
ChannelMaster 4221. It is less than 2 ft. wide, 8 inches deep and 4 ft
tall. I tried Radio Shack's super duper expensive stealth type antenna and
it couldn't pick up one station inside my condo. The same setup with the
4221 pulled in 8 HD stations.

BC
Anonymous
July 24, 2005 6:56:04 AM

>> BC, he is in an apartment building. The law states that you can put up
>> an antenna in an area that you have EXCLUSIVE USE OF like a terrace.
>>

>> --
>> rockaway1836, Posted this message at http://www.SatelliteGuys.US
>>

> Some apartments have attic access too. Either way I suggest the
> ChannelMaster 4221. It is less than 2 ft. wide, 8 inches deep and 4 ft
> tall. I tried Radio Shack's super duper expensive stealth type antenna
> and it couldn't pick up one station inside my condo. The same setup with
> the 4221 pulled in 8 HD stations.
>
> BC

Unfortunately, I have no place outside that I have exclusive use of.
However, the landlord is my friend, hence the idea of a low profile outdoor
antenna.

I do have attic access (sort of). Short of the actual attic, I believe that
I can use the top shelf of a closet.

I will try the ChannelMaster, assuming I can find somewhere it will fit.

I tried a Jensen TV910, which is an amplified VHF/UHF antenna that I had
from my life before cable. As reported in other posts, it actually worsened
the reception. So, an amplifier probably won't help.

Thanks for all the advice.

Dan the Man
!