Windows Explorer Wants to Access the Internet ?

August 4, 2005 8:10:27 AM

Maybe I should ask this question in virus newsgroup but I thought I'd
try here first. Every time I boot my computer I get a message from
Zone Alarm that Windows Explorer want to access the internet. I always
deny the access. I've run the free AVG virus checker and found
nothing, I've run AD-Aware and Spybot and they usually remove a few
entries but the request to allow Windows Explorer remains every time I
boot up the computer. I can permanently block the message and access
attempt with Zone Alarm but thought I'd check here first.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Gary

grynwbry@@@@yahoo.com - remove extra @'s to reply directly.
Anonymous
August 4, 2005 2:17:04 PM

Hi

I have allowed Internet access to Windows Explorer as I sometimes find it
quicker to use that instead of having to open Internet Explorer. It's up to
you whether you want to allow the access to WE or not. It's not spyware or
a virus causing ZA to ask you.

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

"Gary" <grynwbry@@@@Yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Maybe I should ask this question in virus newsgroup but I thought I'd
> try here first. Every time I boot my computer I get a message from
> Zone Alarm that Windows Explorer want to access the internet. I always
> deny the access. I've run the free AVG virus checker and found
> nothing, I've run AD-Aware and Spybot and they usually remove a few
> entries but the request to allow Windows Explorer remains every time I
> boot up the computer. I can permanently block the message and access
> attempt with Zone Alarm but thought I'd check here first.
>
> Any help appreciated.
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Gary
>
> grynwbry@@@@yahoo.com - remove extra @'s to reply directly.

Anonymous
August 4, 2005 2:17:05 PM

The next time it comes up check the box that says remember my answer in the
zone alarm dialog, then it
shouldn't do iy again.

news:o 9FUJVNmFHA.708@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> Hi
>
> I have allowed Internet access to Windows Explorer as I sometimes find it
> quicker to use that instead of having to open Internet Explorer. It's up
> to you whether you want to allow the access to WE or not. It's not
> spyware or a virus causing ZA to ask you.
>
> --
>
> Will Denny
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
> Please reply to the News Groups
>

> "Gary" <grynwbry@@@@Yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Maybe I should ask this question in virus newsgroup but I thought I'd
>> try here first. Every time I boot my computer I get a message from
>> Zone Alarm that Windows Explorer want to access the internet. I always
>> deny the access. I've run the free AVG virus checker and found
>> nothing, I've run AD-Aware and Spybot and they usually remove a few
>> entries but the request to allow Windows Explorer remains every time I
>> boot up the computer. I can permanently block the message and access
>> attempt with Zone Alarm but thought I'd check here first.
>>
>> Any help appreciated.
>>
>> Thanks in advance
>>
>> Gary
>>
>> grynwbry@@@@yahoo.com - remove extra @'s to reply directly.

Related resources
August 5, 2005 4:40:08 AM

On Thu, 4 Aug 2005 10:17:04 +0100, "Will Denny" <willdenny@mvps.org>
wrote:

>Hi
>
>I have allowed Internet access to Windows Explorer as I sometimes find it
>quicker to use that instead of having to open Internet Explorer. It's up to
>you whether you want to allow the access to WE or not. It's not spyware or
>a virus causing ZA to ask you.

Thanks for the information.

Regards ... Gary
August 5, 2005 4:40:42 AM

On Thu, 4 Aug 2005 06:31:28 -0500, "Mike Powers" <mikepowers5@cox.net>
wrote:

>The next time it comes up check the box that says remember my answer in the
>zone alarm dialog, then it
>shouldn't do iy again.

Thanks for the information.

Regards .. Gary