AMD 5000+ Black Edition Overclocked??

rapankzs

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2008
Guys can anyone help me to build a PC.. In the following days I'm going to buy a AMD 5000+ Black Edition and I want to Overclock it but I don't know how, can anyone help me? Then second can you give me a good Mobo,Ram,Gpu and Cooling System because I will be overclocking.. Thankzs..

oushi

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2008
You'll have to give us more information than this if you want any useful advice. Do you have a budget in mind? What do you plan to do with this computer? I'm a little worried about you wanting to OC and build your own computer when you can't spend the time to do a little research for yourself...

akhilles

Splendid
GPU: AMD 5000+ Black Edition
RAM: Any DDR2 800MHZ RAM
HSF: Infinity, Ninja, Noctua, TRUE, Tuniq, Typhoon, etc.
MOBO: (Phenom ready)
Biostar TA770 (budget)
ASUS M3A (mid-range)
MSI K9A2 Platinum (splurge)

Up multiplier to x15 (x200=3ghz) for 3ghz o/c on stock voltage. You can even use the stock cooler, but Black doesn't give you one.

G

Wow...

Do a little leg work yourself here. You know what CPU you want to use. Thats great.

What do you plan on doing with this computer? Gaming? HTPC? Internet/Office? Photoshop?

What is your budget?

As far as overclocking... you're getting way ahead of yourself. You have to build your computer first, then make sure its stable and built properly and all of your hardware is good. After you get all that done, check out the overclocking forum. There's a few stickies there that will help.

There's also several good threads in this forum that will help you build your computer.

Do a little research.

hairycat101

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2007
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128052
I have this board and it overclocks like a mad man. My X2 runs stock at 2,100 and I can push it to 3.0 pretty easily. Of course, OC's vary from chip to chip. My ram is corsair. Keep in mind that you'll need a cooler with your chip. Black box doesn't come with one. One other note... use even multipliers with AMD... this gets you the full speed of your ram. like 8,10,12,14,16. If your ram is good you can take the rest of the OC up with your system bus. I have my Corsair at 450 MHz. DDR2 800 runs stock at 400 MHz.

This mobo will support AM2+... at least with bios F5, BUT you won't get the full speed of the new HT with an older board. If you're not planning on putting a phenom into it later, this is a nice board.

amd_fanboi

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2008
to gain a standard 5000+ BE overclock (assuming everything works 1st time).

go into the BIOS
Go to the cpu settings bit
change the CPU multiplier until the projected speed is 3ghz.
Stress test for 8+ hours on orthos with a small FFTs test (12 or more is better).

done.

that's the basics, though you need to focus on building it first, and making sure it runs well before you give it the boost.

G

OCing isnt that easy. Those are the settings you must change to get the chip OC'd. But there's many different settings in the BIOS that must be 'tweaked' in order to ensure stability. Telling someone that has no xp in OCing is dangerous.

amd_fanboi

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2008
i did say basics, did i not? and the OP has already been advised that he needs to read up on OCing and actually make the computer work if he wants to OC. when it does come down to it, those are the basic steps needed, and that is an example which clearly assumes everything works first time - not everything does. ie, i had to try different OC settings at least 10 times to get a stable oc...

anyways, i'll say it again, those are the basic steps, and there is other stuff you will need to do. read up on Black edition overclocking until you are confident you can do it without a hitch. and don't expect things to go so easy.

hairycat101

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2007
amd_fanboi... Why use an odd multiplier? That would set the divider to less then 1:1. I would use a 14 multiplier (2.8) and up the system bus to achieve 3.0. This would keep the 1:1 and OC the ram at the same time. but it wouldn't be too much of an OC to get to 3.0. Just my $ 0.02.

derek85

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2008

It's actually different stuff. If you OC to 3.0GHz with 200MHz Link Frequency, you will end up with 375MHz not full 400MHz for DDR2-800. So I agree with hairycat101 here.

hairycat101

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2007

Thx derek. Nice to see someone has my back. The memory speed is what keeps the FX 62/ X2 5600 (same thing; one has a locked multi is all) competitve with the X2 6000 in terms of performance.

rapankzs

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2008
Hmm.. The purpose why i am doing this is I would like to build an almost all around computer(eg computing, gaming, internet and some photo and video editing.) and I am planning to buy a DDR2 667 mem and overclock it to DDR2 800(is it possible?). I have found a Mobo on the net, the ASUS M2N32-SLI Deluxe/Wireless Edition.. Is this good to use?

hairycat101

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2007