How to apply thermal grease on Xiggy S1283

zhuoyan

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2008
Hi guys, just wondering whether I have to apply thermal grease both on the cpu and the bottom of the heatsink for S1283? And for application at the bottom of the heatsink, should I apply one line of thermal grease directly perpendicular to the lines on the heatsink?

Thanks

clownbaby

Distinguished
May 6, 2008
for the s1283, since it has the heatpipes on the bottom, I've found it is best to spread a super thin layer of TIM on the cpu, then put on the heat sink.

kyeana

Distinguished
May 21, 2008
^+1

You dont want to use the instructions on the AS5 website for that heatsink because it has heatpipes on the bottom of it. That will prevent the thermal grease from spreading as it should. What you should do, as stated above, is apply a very thin layer of thermal grease on the cpu, none on the heatsink, and then attach the heatsink

zhuoyan

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2008
that looks like a good post! Thanks Venom.
The only thing that I'm still unsure about is whether I will need to rub the 3 thin lined layers of artic silver around the heatsink? Or just simply leave the 3 thin lines there?

Thanks again!

V3NOM

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
nope, the pressure from putting the xiggy on the cpu and the heat/cool down cycles will spread it so that it fills the microscopic valleys, and any excess goes into those gaps. TIM isnt as good as metal for transferring heat, so you don't want a layer between the metal! all the TIM does is fill in the little gaps, leaving as much metal contact as possible.

just look at those pics from lupi, no need to rub or spread it lol

zhuoyan

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2008
oh cool, that looks easy :)

However, from Lupi's pics, it looks like the layer is very thin, and hence, there wouldn't be much spreading of the thermal grease to fill in microscopic valleys(I assume it's the silver parts between the heatpipes?)

What does TIM stands for? I'm a newbie in this sort of thing. :)

V3NOM

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
lol he actually used MS paint and "spraypainted" those lines in :p hehe just put three lines on then unmount it (if u feel like it, i hope you haev the retention bracket) and see what the spreads like. could also let it run for a week before doing that.

have you actually already mounted it or? that way you could see temp difference :)

btw, TIM stands for Thermal Interface Material. aka thermal grease/paste.

zhuoyan

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2008
i am only ordering the parts next week, so I just wanted to make sure everything is in order :)

Thanks for the advice V3nom. What's the temp range that I should be expecting by mounting the S1283 properly?

Thanks again!

V3NOM

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
well i HIGHLY recommend getting the Xigmatek Crossbow bracket (make sure its the one for 3 heat pipe coolers). temp range depends on cpu, case fans, ambient temp (ie where you live) etc! can't give you that i'm sorry lol only a comparison between different coolers..

V3NOM

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
yep, hey cool u live in aus :) my brackets in the mail from pccasegear. good site u should check it out :D

yeah just to let u know itech is famed, but the prices suck. lol. if u live in brisbane, umart is the only way to go! i really do thinkt hey have the best prices except for a couple of dollars give or take... crappy site layout tho

zhuoyan

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2008
i live in Sydney, so i can pretty much pick up the items from a couple of shops here around the city, save approx $100-150 in total. If you're interested I can recommend you a couple of them.

TRENDING THREADS