• NO

Votes: 9 60.0%
  • IDK - havent applied one

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

dobby

Distinguished
May 24, 2006
ok so a few weeks ago, i was helping build my friends PC (not bad q9300, Corsair XMS2 4Gb DDR-800, 8800gt...) but we got stuck when it came to appling the CPU cooler. it seem to to use the standard LGA775 cooler found on the stock model.

the HS/f was the Coolermaster hyper TX2, and TBH it look and feel like a good cooler. adn THG doesn't stop going on about its glory. and i can see why.

but when i was attaching it to the MB (properly) it took a good 45mins to do. and it felt like i was putting way to mcuh force onto the split pins, to get them to latch properly. the motherboard was flexing more than i would wish it to.

if i can think back to my other build with stock cooler, i think its never been easy.

just wondering if anyone else has had this opion.

^^sry for any spelling mistakes.

A good idea is to put the mobo on something that will support it while allowing the pins to go through. I've seen a roll of duct tape suggested, or a deck of cards. Something like that will allow you to apply the necessary force without flexing the board too much.
I used the duct tape on my last build, and it worked fine.

chookman

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
Sounds like you are mounting the board and then trying to get the heat sink installed, which is a big no no. Not only do you start to bend the board but you cannot easily view the underside of the board to make sure lugs are properly through.

jtt283 has a good suggestion but i usually either do it on top of the cardboard box it came in. Or physically hold the board with one hand and press the pins in with the other, Easy as ;)

Andrius

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2004
The newer the cooler the more force is needed in my expirience.
Q9xxx was silly hard.
Q6xxx was a bit less hard but still unpleasent.
Pentium D920 was much easier.

I've also noticed that mounting memory sticks into "brand new" sockets is getting harder with every new board I buy.

Either I'm getting weaker or cooling evolution means apply more force on the IHS to cool better. With a removable motherboard tray or the case lying on its side it is still by far the simplest and effective mounting method.

The "bending and flexing" is about the same risk as frying the board while it's sitting outside the case.
Never had problems with either so far. Mounting some of the better coolers you need to remove the motherboard anyway.
Thank the maker for TRUE ;).

MadHacker

Distinguished
May 20, 2006

so you sugest removing the motherboard whenever you change CPU's?
seems excessive...

doomsdaydave11

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2007

A strip of corrogated cardboard generally does the best job.

monst0r

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2007

Of course. I always do it as a precaution. Why risk throwing 100$ away when you can just be safe? The ideas suggested work fine for me and it isn't really time consuming (maybe 10 more minutes) :heink:

Anyway, I answered no to the poll, the stock cooler seems on par with AMD solutions; Aftermarket HSF's can be slightly harder/ easier depending on the model.

P.S. <3 my TRUE :)

Scaj

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2007
I for one enjoy building my own systems but absolutely loathe working with the LGA 775 socket. It's a real pain in the A$$ to properly fit a heatsink/fan/water block on there. Intel should follow AMD's lead and use something like the 939 style sockets, soo much easier to install/remove hardware with a pull lever.

chookman

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007

If the board is already mounted you could give it a try (i probably would), but i have never actually replaced a CPU in a mobo before (im a bit of a stickler for if you need to upgrade you get a whole machine).

dobby

Distinguished
May 24, 2006
Hope im not mounting it inside te case, well at first i thought i could as with other older cooler with was easy to do so and given to size of the cooler, it would be better insde. however i had to remove it was so hard.

the CPU i was mounting was a q9300 to a asus MB

MadHacker

Distinguished
May 20, 2006
I do it quite a bit when I test hardware falure including swappping CPU's power supplies...
removing a board each time to do so is a major pain...
and have no problem with the LGA775 mounting system.
so far (knock on wood) never had a heatsink clip.. unclip itself...

personly... i believe it is easier to do it with the board mounted... as long as the powersupply does't get in the way... but i do the harder to reach one's first.