Guys i think i just got ripped off

fugben

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2008
Hello i just bought a used system with a p965 NEO motherboard, core 2 6400 cpu @ 2.13 ghz, 2046 mb ram and an ati 1900 XT 512 mb graphics card and an acer 24' AL2416 WB for 900 $. (the guy had an advert saying he was leaving the country and would like to sell his computer).

Now i thought this would be a great bargain for a gamings computer and am very happy with the monitor (there are 0 dead pixels). Unfortunately the system itself seems extremely slow and i did a 3d mark benchmark and only achieved a 5900 score at default settings.

Did i just get ripped off? Do i have any upgrade options available for the graphics card or the CPU?

Your help would be appreciated :hello:

G

That sounds about right for that graphics card.

If you want to plunk down another $150-$200 you can upgrade to the ATI 3870 or nVidia 8800GT. You should see a nice jump in performance there.

G

yeah upgrade your cpu by overclocking it to 3.0 ghz. That will give you a nice little boost for sure.

ohiou_grad_06

Distinguished
Agreed, the video card is kinda old, but still sould play some games pretty well. However, he's right about the new video card. There was a 9600gt on newegg.com for 150 the other day....should be close to the 8800gt. Or there was an 8800 gs, which should be a decent card, it was 140 but I think it had a 30 dollar mail in rebate, so 110 for a decent card isn't bad. From benchmarks I've seen, when the 8800 gs is overclocked, its around the same speed as the 9600gt. Also, better check the power supply specs to make sure it can handle any upgrades. Ram is very cheap now as well, so maybe another thing to throw in with that new card.

G

You got an alright deal considering $350 of that was to cover the cost of that monitor. You could have probably built your own with new stuff for that.

Not sure if you want to try Overclocking - I have had that Processor (E6400) running at 3.2 GHz for a year now. With DDR2800 CL4 (Running around $35 w/MIR) you can have 1::1 ratio.

As deuce indicated your 3DMark06 score is about right for that gpu.
I Have the 1950XT. For a higher score you would need a higher end gpu.

G

Yeah, you that CPU is well over a year old now. For $900 you could've done a little better and with some newer parts.