Is my E8400 running too hot...screen shots & pictures!

rboarderi

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2008
This is my first build ever and I am a bit worried that my motherboard and CPU are running too hot. I have read many different articles saying that the E8400 does not give out the right temperatures. I have downloaded a bunch of the programs that everyone talks about here to read the temperatures and played Track Mania Nations Forever for a bit and then took a screen shot of all the temperature monitors. After that I let my computer idle for a bit and then took another screen shot of the monitors. Can someone decipher these temps and let me know what the real temperatures are and if they are too high. I have ordered an Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 which I will be installing next week when I receive it to bring my temps down a bit I hope. I am also considering ordering a Noctua NU-06 chipset cooler as well. So should I be worried about the below temperatures?

Here are my system specs:
ASUS P5N-D 750i Motherboard
E8400
8800GT
4gigs OCZ
Cooler Master 690 Case

And the images...

f_idlem_3ae2337.jpg

f_loadm_7914471.jpg

f_casem_9ddad96.jpg

dagger

Splendid
Mar 23, 2008
It's running too warm. Never heard of "Track Mania Nations Forever," not sure how taxing it is. You should test with prime95 for temperatures.
http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft.htm
That stock cpu cooler is weak. Get an aftermarket one. A half decent heatsink should be 4-5 times that size. Chipset cooler helps, but what you really need at this point is a good cpu cooler.

illinikevin

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2006
I would check to make sure the heatsink is properly mounted. The mounting system that intel uses now can be misleading. I have an e8400 with a vcore of 1.41V and running at 4.0 GHz and it never gets above 55c. With your voltage and speed you should not be seeing those temps. That stock cooler is just fine for the e8400. That is the same model Intel used on the Pentium D's and some of them dissipated over 120 watts. That 45nm core could never get close to that.

Conumdrum

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
And remount only with the mobo out of the case. You can't check for the proper install while it's in the case. One of the biggest CPU mount mistakes is doing it wit the mobo installed.

And... what paste are you going to use? Hopefully not the stuff that still on the chip or the stuff that comes with the AC pro. MX-2, Ceramique, As-5 come to mind, Mx-2 is one of the newer better ones.

dragonsprayer

Splendid
Jan 3, 2007
poorly built systems run hot!

1700 rpm?

intel coolers need 2500 rpm

your cpu cool ramped from 1700 to 1800

is the a stock new cpu cooler? they suck!

the new intel "lite weight" cpu coolers suck, the old heavy copper core coolers work with oc and non-oc. the new coolers do not.

the best stock intel coolers are blue extreme copper core and run 3500 rpm. you rpm is too low it should be 2500-2700 at load with the right cooler

bwdsmart

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2007
yoru temps look fine to me, they are 44 and 42 in real temp which sounds about right, asus probe sucks for getting actual temps, speedfan is ok with older chipsets, but ive found it to be very unacurate on newer proc's. plus both of those have a setting where you can add and subtract from teh temp value if its reading wrong in settings, which to me means its not a very trust worthy source.

also from what ive read, real temp is the only program that correctly reads 45nm procs most of the time. Try a trial of everest, thats a very accurate program, also try out core temp, thats another very accurate program.

rboarderi

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2008

Well im sorry for building such a poor system, if you read my first post I said this is my first build, so instead of criticizing why don't you tell me how to up my fan speed. Also if you read my post you would have realized that I have a new heatsink in the mail right now.

topman

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2007
ok i have had this prob on a asus bord go in to your bios and go to hardware moniter and turn off the Q fan control. let us no if it makes a differance that should make your fan run at 2500 RPM. by the way the freezer 7 pro is grate.

hutt

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2008
I have found that the closest temp program to be HWMonitor for me cause its right on with an infrared thermometer where as all others are about 10C off. As for real temp its shows 22c and 24c idle where as HW shows 32c 33c and thats + or - 1C from my infrared thermometer.

likeavirgin

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2008
Here you listen to me: there must be something wrong with your ASUS pc probe. the second pic shows your pc was testing and had a about 65% cpu usage. the problem is that generally intel's stock cooler need a 2500rpm to dissipate the heat when cpus are running apps like games or video rendering programs, etc... you also notice the cpu voltage is incorrect because it will rise to its normal voltage(1.4v) when cpu is running apps. 1.15v is only fit for the idle use. so the problem you met maybe came from the software.

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
Those temps are not horrible but you might need to reseat your heatsink because they are a little high.

But as several have noted set your CPU fan 100% and I'm only seeing one 120mm fan sucking air out which is not good. There should be at least one in the front, one on your side door sucking cool air in and one or two blowing air out.

jackieboy

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2006
Have you checked what it says in your bios.......those software programs aren't accurate....and most system builder who put an actual meter on them do get around 41 to 44C idle.....so you are really just fine

cranbers

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
It's fine, it won't even become unstable until at least 70c.

If you do want to lower temps a bit pick up an aftermarket cooler. But you really don't need to worry about anything. if it was idling at that, then I would definitely worry.

A lot of people are over reacting because they use after market coolers as a result have lower temps then the stock. At least that is my assumption. Those temps look normal to me though. Especially using a stock cooler. Did you mention what the temp is in the room?

bwdsmart

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2007
err, for 45nm chips 1.4v is the max you want to put into them, not what they clock up to when u put them under load... more like 1.2 or less depending on the chips vid.

run prime 95 and see what realtemp gives you for max temps, id guess around 50ish which is more then fine.

dragonsprayer

Splendid
Jan 3, 2007

lol

it was late and i was half a sleep

your fan ramps from 1700 to 1850 rpm, you need 2500+ with intel cooler

get a new cooler

ivanski

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2006
Yeah its true that intel heatsinks arent the best,but this is a new 45nm and @ stock with the stock heatsink should be in the 30's idle....even in the bios it will give you a wrong temp.Believe me,after I reseated 3 times I forgot to plug the power to the Zalman 9700 and so no fan spinning.Guess what the temp showed... exactly the same as before wich means I was at running as low as idle can get.
So I repeat use RealTemp and go by that.