Sign in with
Your question

Low 3DMark06 Score (10040) w/ E3110 & 9800GX2

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 29, 2008 4:11:42 PM

Any ideas for what might be going on? 10040 seems abnormally low compared to other systems with my specs:

E3110
9800GX2
2 X 2GB Crucial Ballistix
DFI BloodIron P35

It seems to be hamstrung by the CPU. The CPU tests ran extremely slow (0-1FPS), but I have no idea why.

Just to be sure, I rebooted and ran the test again. Same result.

Anyone know what's going on?
March 29, 2008 4:18:53 PM

the CPU test is MEANT to run like that so don't worry, you should really stop concerning yourself with these benchmarks and try running games, do some video encoding, or file compressing to see the power of your CPU, not run or concern yourself with the results of a 2-year old useless synthetic benchmark which in my opinion, has been of no use since it was first released , but I'm sure more than one 3dmark lover will appear soon enough.

March 29, 2008 4:25:25 PM

Ah, okay. Didn't know that about the CPU test (been awhile since I'd benchmarked anything, and I'd never used 3DMark06).

I'm more curious about the results than anything. Even if the benchmark is useless, I'd like to know why my results are so abnormal (if they are, in fact, abnormal), whether others have had similar experiences, if it's just a typical thing w/the Xeon processors, etc.
Related resources
March 29, 2008 4:51:09 PM

does CPU-z report your processor to be exactly as is? a P35 mobo may need the latest BIOS update in order to fully utilize the processor correctly.
March 29, 2008 5:21:55 PM

Yep, except for the 2.0Ghz rating, due to the 6X multiplier (which I've read automatically changes to 9x when under load, correct?)
March 29, 2008 5:25:39 PM

Yeah, that's speedstep for you. what I'd do is install Crysis (if you have it available to you that is) or any other CPU demanding game (Supreme commander also comes to mind) and see if you're having good performance.
March 29, 2008 5:29:02 PM

FSX heh, if you get smooth frames in FSX then your computer is running just fine!
March 29, 2008 6:10:45 PM

10040 is indeed low

Got around 14000 with
E8400 (3.9ghz)
2g of ram (1040mhz)
8800GTX
March 29, 2008 6:10:46 PM

emp said:
the CPU test is MEANT to run like that so don't worry, you should really stop concerning yourself with these benchmarks and try running games, do some video encoding, or file compressing to see the power of your CPU, not run or concern yourself with the results of a 2-year old useless synthetic benchmark which in my opinion, has been of no use since it was first released , but I'm sure more than one 3dmark lover will appear soon enough.

i agree with you 100%. these benchmark programs just bring headache. if some using his pc for gaming. n cant c the difference between 50fps and 60fps. what difference will it make to him/her what that stupid bench program is saying!!!!
March 29, 2008 8:21:39 PM

3dmark06 isn't that good of a test, since its really cpu orientated, Ram. You shouldn't pay too much attention to it.

Thats what I personally think. I mean I have 1700 with my configuration.
March 30, 2008 3:00:55 PM

Well, I think I finally figured it out.

I ran Crysis windowed w/CPU-Z off to the side. The multiplier doesn't change (it's locked at 6), so my processor is effectively underclocked to 2.0Ghz at all times. I'm actually relieved, as I knew my performance wasn't what it should have been.

Now for a little tweaking of the BIOS.
March 30, 2008 4:03:53 PM

bennyprofane said:
Well, I think I finally figured it out.

I ran Crysis windowed w/CPU-Z off to the side. The multiplier doesn't change (it's locked at 6), so my processor is effectively underclocked to 2.0Ghz at all times. I'm actually relieved, as I knew my performance wasn't what it should have been.

Now for a little tweaking of the BIOS.

You should be able to break 20k in 3dmark 06 with a gx2 depending on how much you can overclock the processor.
On another board there is a guy breaking 22k with just one gx2.

So expect quite a hike in performance with getting the cpu straightened out.
They are not as weak in 3dmark as dummies on here would like to repeat from the other.
Very good cards, and the CPU is no different.

Enjoy.

March 30, 2008 6:29:07 PM

Fixed the multiplier, reran 3DMark06 and got 14,167. I'll do it again Tuesday after my TRUE arrives and I'm able to overclock.

I'm not a huge benchmark junkie, but sometimes they're a good way to find out whether something is out of whack. Which, in this case, it was, so I'm glad I caught it. Might've gone on a month running Crysis w/shaky framerates for no reason. ;) 
a c 86 U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
March 30, 2008 8:40:18 PM

is that E3110 a xeon cpu or something? I've never heard of it before..

edit: googled it, and yes it is :p 
March 30, 2008 9:02:56 PM

Basically the same chip as the E8400, which is out of stock everywhere right now. Also supposedly higher binned for server use.
April 2, 2008 9:49:31 AM

3870X2 > 9800GX2 on 3Dmark (thats how crazy this thing is XD). Seriously don't listen to that program just go play your programs and enjoy the extra heater in your room ^_^.

April 2, 2008 3:43:56 PM

3870X2> 9800 GX2 on 3Dmark yes...but in games its the other way around lol!
April 2, 2008 4:05:28 PM

The other thing you can look at is the 3 components of the 3DMark06... This should have pretty quickly identified that your CPU score was particularly low. There's also the other benchmarks from FutureMark that might help resolve issues in the future.

Clint
April 2, 2008 4:11:29 PM

That score is on the low side for that video card which is no doubt due to the processor. If you had a different processor you would probably get a better score. With my card OC'd and stock proc speed, I am getting around 13k with a Q6600 and 8800GTS 640mb. I see you got 14K, looks like its heading in the right direction. I must admit I love benchmarks, I need a 12 step program.
April 2, 2008 6:29:35 PM

Keep in mind also that 3DMark06 favors quad cores so be careful what scores you are comparing yours to. You can run a couple windows of memtest as well to stress your CPU so you don't have to mess around with Crysis windows. Also, make sure you are giving it a full load when you are checking to see if speed stepping is working correctly. Memtest will make it easier to do that since you can have it running in the background while you check your CPU status.

I am a little skeptical about your conclusion for your speed stepping not letting up. I don't have a speed stepping CPU at the moment so I am not sure how CPU-z behaves, but here is what I am thinking. GPU-z won't keep real time measurements of temps/clocks if you don't have the GPU-z window selected (there is a check box to make it do so however). If CPU-z behaves the same, you might not see any changes while running Crysis in the forefront window. To get around all of this, I would run the memtest windows and then pull up CPU-z to see what it reads. Once again though, I don't have a speed stepping CPU to confirm is this happens or not. Others please chime in if you know.

Have you used SuperPi? The results are hard to compare with other people since you don't get a rating, but you might be able to find some screen shots from other people who did it with an E3110 or E8400.

You should break down the 3DMark score and compare each one to get a better insight to where the bottle neck is just as cneufeld said. Are you running Vista by chance?

Your speed stepping thing is a little weird. By "fix the problem" did you switch it off in BIOS? Also, what are your PSU specs? Do you have enough to push your system? What are your RAM settings BTW? Are they running at CL4?

Benchmarking is a great tool that provides a window into your performance. I am not sure why people are saying that they don't matter. There are those who get over zealous with them but bennyprofane is clearly not just pushing for higher marks. If you were getting 18K and still complaining I would have to laugh at you but you are low enough to where you need to do some troubleshooting.

Roughly speaking you are comming out in the 3870/8800GT ranges at 10K but at 14K you are normal with a stock dual core. If you start overclocking you can push up towards 18-19K.
April 2, 2008 7:09:09 PM

Hmm.. I 've seen some folks on the youtube running Intel Skulltrail
Spec like this:
Dual QX9775
8 GB of 1333 RAM
9800 GX2 in SLI

He got like 18K with out tweaking any thing.
April 2, 2008 7:13:58 PM

^ Yeah running two quad cores which = makes 3Dmark happy
!