Many "CPU Too Hot" Posts

chise1

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2008
Now I'm not trying to criticize any post in particular in this forum -- if I were building a comp right now and my CPU was too hot, then I'd be worried about it after spending $xxx dollars on it as well. However, by looking at the CPU forums here, there are probably 6+ posts in the past day alone stating that some people's newly-installed CPU's are running too hot, and many times, the same solution is found -- poor heatsinks, thermal paste, etc...

Can someone make a sticky about how to properly install a CPU (and how to troubleshoot common problems)?

I'm aware that sometimes the solution to the problem is not generic, but maybe a sticky could both posters and responders.

Also, if there's a good reason why there shouldn't be a sticky for this, I'd love to hear it -- this is only a suggestion!

dragonsprayer

Splendid
Jan 3, 2007
here is my quick explanation (good post by the way)

1st - many enthusiast are x-amd people who are used too older cpu's with lower temps. yes, the over rated athlon's ran cool (over rated since there where few multitasking tests). intel cpu's have run hot for years, hot means hotter then amd

2nd - there is a large misconception on temperature and long term damage or shorten life span. people may think that a 55-60c is going to destroy a cpu when temps have little to do with voltage degradation. fact is biggest issue is the break down of the expoxy at 80c plus

a few years ago it was common to think a 50c cpu was hot, again its a misconceptions

chookman

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
I think the big problem of late has been everyone commenting on how cool the Core2's run from the intel lineup...

People post there CPU temperatures everywhere OCed to the MAX with massive coolers running at ~50-60 under load... then joe blow installs his stock intel cooler and wonders why hes at ~40-50 without an OC...

rockbyter

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2008
Additional to above : incorrect software readings, and leaving cooling fans on quiet when there really needs to be that extra flow from high speed.

I would like my system to run bloody cold all of the time. if i leave it on and am away for the weekend i tell it to clock down as low as it will go. saves power and especially heat leaving downloads going while away.

nukchebi0

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2006

This isn't a matter of absolute heat, but relative heat. If everyone has the CPU running at 30-35C on idle, and you aren't, you are going to be perturbed. It doesn't really matter that 50C isn't hot. It matter that the CPu is running much hotter than others of its kind.

smeghead1986

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2006
I think alot of the people who say is this too hot are reading other posts were the temps are listed but those people are on water so the temps are lower or they are useing an aftermarket cooler witch is alot better then the crap you get from intel or amd