albop

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2008
i seen on a thread there is going too be price drops on graphics cards, is there gonna be price drops on all things like cpu and things , basically what im sayin is do you think i should hold of getting a new computer just now , also is there any dates or anything that the drops will happen

0gab0ga

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2008
there will be some price drops when the new stuff comes out, obviously. i know the q6600 will be sold for 230-240 at the end of april, the higher priced models will have a greater price drop. (cant remember where i found this info, but another thread linked to it)
q9xxx series is coming as replacement.
so the price drop is not very significant. even if you were to grab a more expensive model on sale, it would still be as expensive or more expensive than the new processors. when the 9800 series comes out (GT, GTS, GTX) the same will probably happen with the 8800 series. however, the price on these today are already below reccomended retail price, so the price drop will not be very significant either. i am not sure when these cards will be released, some say april, some may or june. either way, if you just get a evga 8800 today you can use the step up and get a 9800 by paying the difference within 3 months. you will have to pay evga's reccomended retail price to do this, but being so new there wont be anything cheap anyway.
i would reccomend to buy a computer today. playing the waiting game will never work as something new is always on the horizon. if your budget is high wait for the q9450 and maybe the x48 mobos. or if sli is what youre after you have the 790i already. no need to wait for 9800 series cause of the step up plan and there wont be great price drops in the near future.
the next big thing is nehalem which will be out probably sometime in 2009. probably late in the year as intel has no competition. look at how they are postponing the q9450. this will require a new mobo.
a 1000$ (no monitor / os) system built today will last you fine until 2010 by which time nehalem will be settled and the selection of hardware greater than on its release date (not to mention price)
so i say build a 1000$ system today which will play all games at high, or if you aren't on a budget spend 2000$ and get a 45nm quad processor and 790i / x48 ddr3(?) and 9800 (maybe through step up)
this will certainly last you 2 years or more. if you want to play 2010's games on high a new system is needed anyway. no computer today will do that. and dont forget you can still upgrade your gpu to whatever comes after the 9800 series without a new mobo, which will have the greatest impact on your games. seeing that all new games will support quad core,which they do not today, your processor most likely wont be holding you back.