Sign in with
Your question

Expected time for (1 TB) hard drive price drops

Last response: in Storage
May 5, 2009 6:38:51 PM

Hi,

I'm looking to get a 2x1TB setup for the new box I'm building. Right now I'm looking at the prices on Newegg, and prior to discounts, $85--90 seems to be the lowest price range. While the price isn't _too_ big of a problem, if prices are going to drop soon (i.e., in the next month or two), I'm willing to wait. Does anyone know what kinds of changes occur in prices during this time of the year?

Thank you!
a b G Storage
May 5, 2009 9:55:22 PM

LOL, I was going to say these drives are around $100, how much cheaper do you want them? If your walking into your local B&M or compubytes don't buy them there. (my local compubytes is selling the 1TB drives for $220. Even my local staples sells an external 1TB for $170.) $100 for 1TB isn't cheap enough?
May 5, 2009 10:13:46 PM

Quote:
The current 0.08-0.07GB/$ with discount is already pretty cheap IMO.
Yeah, I know :D  It's just that if it's gonna drop soon, I wouldn't mind saving a few bucks.

Quote:
They might go down to $70 in a few months or more with 2TBs already rolling in. Not worth the wait IMO if you need it.
I don't _need_ it right now at all. I'm just getting close to running out of space on my 2x500GB setup right now, so I would like to add another TB sometime in the next few months.

Quote:
They're very useful or archival purposes especially multiples of them in RAID1 or 5 for redundancy if that's what you're looking for (minimum 3 for RAID5).
Yes, that's right. I'm running 2x500GB in RAID1 right now, so this is going to bring me up to ~1.5TB total space.

Quote:
If you're looking for RAID0 forget about them. HDD in RAID0 is not for speed except special circumstances like video editing. Real speed for typical desktop usage comes from SSD.
I'm not interested in any of that; this is for a headless box for data storage, webserving, development, etc.

4745454b said:
LOL, I was going to say these drives are around $100, how much cheaper do you want them?
As cheap as I can get them ;/
There was a sale on Newegg that brought some Hitachis down to $70 a while, but I think $65 would be just right ;) 

4745454b said:
If your walking into your local B&M or compubytes don't buy them there. (my local compubytes is selling the 1TB drives for $220. Even my local staples sells an external 1TB for $170.)
I don't even know what the price is at Worst Buy. I don't bother to check ;) 

4745454b said:
$100 for 1TB isn't cheap enough?
Oh, if they were $100, there's no way I'd be buying ;/
a b G Storage
May 6, 2009 12:15:35 AM

Trust me, I'm as broke as they get. While I would love to have nicer stuff, I have to many bills to be able to afford them. I do however do my best to save up $$$, and buy "new" stuff for my setups. (I say "new" because I buy a lot of stuff off of forums.) I would love to buy everything I need for $10, but I understand that some things can't be sold for that little. My 320GB is dying on me, I'll get the biggest drive I can for ~$75. If that means I buy a 500GB for $50 because I can't spring the $90 for the 1TB, then so be it. Buy the time I have to upgrade a harddrive again, I'll be able to get the 1TB for $60.
Related resources
!