Sign in with
Your question

Umpteenth MoBo selection advice request

Last response: in Motherboards
May 11, 2008 11:36:20 PM

Sorry for yet another MB advice request, but...

I've read quite a few threads on this subject. Alas, with so much info, and so many choices, I'm still hessitant to plop down my money. I have a few more detailed questions below, which complicates my request beyond much of what I've read so far. So please bear with me, and read it all.

First off, what I do want: My main objective is Gaming. Particularly MMO's, like the soon to be released Age of Conan, and later on Warhammer. I plan on using XP home. Perhaps if/when SP2 for Vista, I may try that on a seperate hard drive, and select between the two OS's. I understand that DX10 wants Vista.. But really, I do not want Vista. Just, it's best to keep my options for the future open I suppose.
I'm also trying to keep the $$ down. While I'd prefer to spend <$200 on a MB, if good advice steers me >$200, I'll take it.
Video: NVidia all the way. I am leaning towards a single high performer between $150 and$300 range So SLI ability isn't neccessary? Wouldnt a single $200~$300ish work better or equal to two $150's in SLI?
The above is what gets me most confused about which chipset. I think the Intel Chipsets are superior to the NVidia, Which further confuses me: Wasn't ATI taken over by AMD, Intel's competition? If so, how did NVidia manage to pi$$ off Intel? Why did Intel go only x-fire and forsake SLI???
Bah, getting off subject.
Using a 22" Westinghouse #LCM22w3, LCD if that makes a difference.

I'd like longevity, but will I really need DDR3 (over high performance DDR2) for games 3~4 years from now? An answer to this question should round down my options. I've seen a couple MB's that offer use of both DDR3 and DDR2. Does that additional option reduce the MB's over-all performance?

I'm hessitant to get into overclocking (hard logical notion that OC reduced lifespan, and increases risk of errors)
Change my mind if you can, I'm open to counter-logic.

So for a Processor I have whittled down my options to an E8400.
Retail version with it's packaged heatsink.. Unless someone convinces me to OC and would need an aftermarket heatsink? Then get an OEM chip, forsake the 3 year warranty to save money?

I'm not big on sound (some loss of hearing) so built in sound is fine. I mostly use a USB headset for voice coms. So quality music and effects are unimportant to me.

hmm. Hope that covers it! :) 

May 12, 2008 2:32:49 AM

Keep in mind that by 2009, LGA775 will be old news. There really is no point to paying extra for a DDR3 mobo, when by the time DDR3 comes down to a reasonable price, there is no point to getting an LGA775 board.

If I were you, I would go with this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I don't see you needing anything more, and it will work out of the box with an E8400.
May 12, 2008 2:40:14 AM

Intel wanted to cover sli, but Nvidia refused their request in order to push their own chipset. Nvidia chipsets' higher cost, along with inferior performance, would be killed off if Intel support sli too. They've only granted Intel for sli support in its top end Skulltrial dual cpu motherboard, which cost $600 and support both crossfire and sli. This is only because they know at that price, it's not competing with Nvidia's own more mainstream motherboards.

If you want to overclock e8400 to its limits of 4.3ghz, you need x38/48 and not p35/780i due to fsb limitations. P35 and 780i should be good for at least up to 3.6ghz though.
Related resources
May 12, 2008 3:40:30 AM

dagger said:
Intel wanted to cover sli, but Nvidia refused their request in order to push their own chipset. Nvidia chipsets' higher cost, along with inferior performance, would be killed off if Intel support sli too. They've only granted Intel for sli support in its top end Skulltrial dual cpu motherboard, which cost $600 and support both crossfire and sli. This is only because they know at that price, it's not competing with Nvidia's own more mainstream motherboards.

If you want to overclock e8400 to its limits of 4.3ghz, you need x38/48 and not p35/780i due to fsb limitations. P35 and 780i should be good for at least up to 3.6ghz though.
Actually that's the new EP35, which is basically the same as the old P35, but can go up to 1600FSB. Just look at the specs :D 

May 13, 2008 12:46:43 AM

doomsdaydave11 said:
Actually that's the new EP35, which is basically the same as the old P35, but can go up to 1600FSB. Just look at the specs :D 

What do you mean? P35 can overclock to 1600mhz fsb easily enough.
May 13, 2008 2:22:39 AM

Thanks for the advice and info Doom and Dagger! Newegg order placed :) 
!