1st DIY, Need Help regarding CPU HeatSink/Fan Install

jessegibson

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2008
XIGMATEK HDT-S1283 120mm Rifle CPU Cooler
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835233003&nm_mc=TEMC-RMA-Approvel&cm_mmc=TEMC-RMA-Approvel-_-Content-_-text-_-

I am basically finished installing the CPU, HeatSink and Fan. See link above.

I am following the instructions. One step says to Insert "5" spoiler into the Radiating Fin until the protruding point.

That's verbatim. Based on the diagram the spoiler is supposed to arch downward toward the Motherboard. When I put the spoiler in arching downward it does not click, snap, or anything like that into place. It just rests there loosely. It will fall out if you were to ever jostle the PC around. When inserting it with the arch facing away from the Motherboard it appears to be stable and stay in place.

Is the diagram wrong or is this spoiler supposed to "spoil" air toward the motherboard.

Yeah it's a silly thing and you'll never miss it. I doubt anyone installs the spoiler, I instantly forgot all about it.

You fan should be opposite the chassis fan, driving air through the cooler and out the case. In my case, that was towards the top of the case... most cases it's towards the back.

cpu2.jpg

jessegibson

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2008
Thanks. I'll forget the spoiler and flip the HeatSink and fan around. My fan is between the Heatsink and the top of the case instead of the other way around.

Thanks for the picture:)

jessegibson

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2008
If I ever wanted to post a picture or two how do I do it?

I tried to insert into the post and couldn't, only option I found was inserting a URL. If that's the only way how to I get my pics to a URL that other people can see?

Might not be the correct section. But I noticed you provided your own picture.