dobby

Distinguished
May 24, 2006
Ok i haev a small (to large) problem. a freind has just given me a PC to fix (groan). but hey i wont turn it down.

the problem is a arecurring System32 file. the problem pop up when you boot, after the POST. so you never get far enough to get to the log in screen. (this is XP home)

the freind said that they didnt really care about anything on the HDD. so to save sometime. i did a clean reinstall, including full format. the install seamed successful. but when I tried to boot into windoww, a blue-screen came up, blaming a system32 compoent.

now i imagine that the HDD has resitricted setors for things like system32 and perhaps so does the RAM. so i think it is one of these. dont suppose you have come across a similar problem. the HDD could have a bad sector considering it only had 256mb of RAM, but that reall enough for XP.

Spec:
CPU: AMD sempron.
HDD: 80 maxtor IDE
RAM: ddr-400mhz 256Mhz.

On a side note, the PC is a Packard Bell, and aswell as having the most awkward power button which just stop signal to the screen, the case is acuallty very easy to work with got side pannel off in seconds and all very neat inside.

It should not be a registry issue after the reformat and clean installation.
As badge says use chkdsk /r from the recovery console after booting from the XP CD.
Recovery Console commands available

If your friends XP CD isnt service pack 2 you can save him and yourself a lot of time by slipstreaming SP2 onto a CD for the clean install.
Slipstream SP2

And while you're at it - throw in another 512MB RAM as a surprise [:wr2] . (assuming its DDR 1 stick 256MB + 1 new stick 512MB = 768MB installed RAM)

boonality

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2008
When you re-installed, did you use the XP disk that came with the computer? it usually has the proprietary drivers necessary to install XP correctly. It wouldn't hurt to reseat everything real quick either, it may fix the problem on a chance.

chookman

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
More than likely you have a dying hard drive, as Badge said get a chkdsk running and see if the drive has bad sectors if it does it will more than likely need replacing.