Overclocking q66600 First attemp at OC

methix0r

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2008
hi im gonna be doing my first overclock soonish and i just wanan get clear on some thigns since it is my first time. I read the oc clocking guide on this forum
First My specs r q660 2.4 <stock> atm 4gig ddr 2 ram 8800gts 512 550 wat PSU 800gig hdd .now im gonna be upgrading video card soon to prob 4870 now i was thinking of o.c to 3.0ghz max cause the cooler i got Achillies something reduced the temp in my comp by about 12-14 degrees from the stock cooler depending on how hot it is in th room on stock cooler it idleing about 48-55 degrees on stock underload sometimes between 60-64 now with my achillies cooler it is idling about 41-46 underload 49-55 now the ig temps there r only cause it is hto day or something so i no i cant go past 3.0ghz with those temps or i wil have temp issues.but mny question is with a 4870 and a o.c to 3.0ghz on a 550watt psu wil be able to hold up fine it is a decent psu and can handla a 4870 fine jsut wondering about how it will be after o.c.

Anyway now donw to the hard part for me anyway.Just few question i got form reading the guide of graysky.im a little concerned about the voltages and memory stuff and ratio 1:1 about that pint i got really confused as some of the names in bios r different as we have different mobos .im running a gigabyte ps5-ds3p i wast want to calrify what the actualnames for these in my bios are the memory voltage and wchich settings i change for vcore voltage when doign the test for stability. l8r on thx

Zecow

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2008
memory should say something like DIMM and should start from somewhere between 1.8-2.0 v depending on ur ram specs

cpu is straight forward -
VTT - this is where u tune - don't exceed 1.5v
PLL - leave this as default

ratio is good to have 1:1, but from lab test, in real world apps, its hardly noticeable. I got my Q6600 to 3.6 Ghz. You might be able to do 400x8=3.2Ghz with minimum tuning.

methix0r

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2008
umm well i was just in the bios and lot of **** had diff namres first of i set the fsb multi to 333 was all fine x9 of course i set system violtage control to auto as i was told u do this then if it boots check temp then go back into system voltage and set to lower settings where it is unstable then move back up to higher ones where it is sstable again i belive. Now C.1.A.@ i belive this is the speedstep caus ei couldnt find anything called speedstep, that is disabled , i set pci express crap or w/e to 100mhz i got giabyte board so i dont need to set the other thign to 33.33 or w/e cause it is default set to that on my baord.couldnt find abythign called speed spectrum to disable either.

now on to memory under the memeory voltaged i checked this now cause i might have to do some tuning in the memory voltages if for some reason it is unstable or what not. only thing i can see there is +0.25 +0.3etc i cant see the the current voltage is set at so i didnt touch it i fdo that that i got pc 6400 ddr II 800mhz r and it says 2.1 on my ram stick i belive that is maximum voltage anyway the point is i cant see anywhetre int he bios what my ram voltage is atm so i not going to touch it until i can.my current ram timeings r 5-5-5-18 i changed this to 4-4-4-12 as it says that on my ram sticks as deafult. and i changed the systtem mempory multiplier thingy or what not to 2.40 with 333x9 and that gave me 800mhz which is the max i can have now i dont no if this is 1:1 or not but if i leave the setting on auto in system memory multiplier on my bios the mhz on the memory exceeds 800mhz which is bad so i chanegd the setting to 2.40 and it is at 800mhz, there is no actualty way for me to set the mhz of the ram manually i have to use the settings in system memory multiplier which is 2.40 2.50 2.00 etc.and also for some reaosn if i set fsb to liek 290 which is 2.6ghz no matter what setting si choose in the memory multiplier the mhz always reaches over 800 which is worrying.

but to the ppint i didnt o.c cause i was real hazy on what does what int he bios cause the names where not familiar to me or to any i read in the o.c guide and as where the options to do what u need to . so im gona lsit the **** in my bios so i know i get it right cause it is a weird bios lol names r wacked the **** out and it is confusing me.

ok under my System voltage **** i got. DD-R 2 overvoltage<again under here i cannot see what the current voltage settign sr maybe i am looking in wrong place>, pic-e overvoltage, fsb overvoltage , mch overvoltage, loadline calb, cpu voltage and normal vcore. i think i no which **** is which ther ebut if anyoens wants to ad din a dont touch that **** setting your comp wil go boom plz do <appreciated>. think everything is covered.

sorry for all the typos but i am in a rush atm got ot be some where and i wanetd to get this up so i can o.c it when i get back. cheers.

fromt the <o.C`ing noob :> :>

Zecow

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2008
I'm not sure with your board, but the previous Gigabyte there's a hidden function. At the bios screen press Ctrl+F1 - it brings up the advance menu screen. Not sure they still have it.

note: Never set voltage on CPU to auto. Auto means the board will feed the CPU power as required - meaning if your cpu is climbing and requires more voltage, the board will supply it.

note 2: never be in a rush to OC. Thats when all **** happens.

This is what I use for my Q6600 - i leave the rest to default:

CPU VTT
RAM
MCH (northbridge)
FSB voltage
Thats all you need to touch for the first time. I suggest you search online for 'overclock bios settings gigabyte ps5' <- it should give you a rough idea and a base line. I cant say what each names in the bios are - as each manufacturer calls it differently.

From 266x9 to 333x9 - you actually dont need to do much. I just bumped my cpu voltage to 1.325 and it runs fine already!

methix0r

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2008
i have the options unlocked like setting fsb changing ram timeings all that stuff unlocke di hit ctr+f1 to unlock it was just wanting to clarify about some stuff is all ill try what u did thx ,but if it dont boot or some **** im **** cause i dont no wbout jumper settings or where they r on my board to reset it if there is a problem.

methix0r

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2008
well when iw ent back into bios changed fsb all that stuff and didt not set system voltage control to auto it is flashing it red not optimized, the guide i read here said to leave it on auto after firs boot then go back in and reduce the settings, im jsut worried that if i leave it on manual normal settings that it is on for 2.4ghz now and i oc to 333x9 3.0 somethign will go wrong, i didnt plan on leaving it on auto after i o.c i was goiong togo back in and reduce and od what the guide said here or it wont boot and im stuck cause i got 2 people tell me diff things and it makes it harder lol

Zecow

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2008
There are no jumpers.

Ok.. if you do manual voltage control for the cpu to 1.35 (example) you are caping the voltage not to exceed that much. If you set it to auto.. and you OC too much.. the board adjust the voltage according the the required power your cpu uses... so it will climb 1.35 (need more.. ok) 1.37 (oh.. you need some more.. alright) 1.4 etc etc... in the end.. you'll end up frying your cpu

theres nothing much to a bad setting.. you can always use the jumper reset cmos or a button for some boards. it will reset to bios default.

might want to check:

http://www.compunamics.com/overclocking.htm
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1138241

methix0r

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2008
ok i understand what u r saying i leave it on manual but question do i adjust it to 1.35 before i save and boot it up. or do i leave it on 1.28 or w/e it is now then manualy go in l8r and up it to find somethign stablw

daskrabbe

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2008

Certainly not true of my asus mb, auto means it will increase slightly when I overclock the cpu, but never more than like 10%. I don't think there is an easy way for a mb/cpu to realize it needs more voltage.

methix0r

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2008
another question any idea if the p35-ds3p has a reset butten for cmos if not jumper reset cmos if os < where is it what it look like and what i do lol> just thought be good t o no if something goes wrong

methix0r

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2008
so u r saying i should put it on auto DasKrabbe? on first boot then go back in l8r and adjust settings ? well i just want to no the safiest way to do that part and the easiest for somoene who is doing there first o.c is it better to put it on manual and just inscrease the cpu volt from normal 1.28 up to w.e is stable and not touch anything else or to put it on auto for first boot up then go in and lower everything then increas eit slightly yo find somethign stable?

methix0r

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2008
well i o.ced it 1;1 ratio ram at 667 333x9 2.0 multiplier for spd , set pcie freq to 100mhz disabled some **** in bios like c1e cia 2 etc let the cpu on normal 128560 or w/e it is saved and restared uit booted up fine idle temps abpout 44-47 this is normal for me as i am in a kinda hot room, was alll good
unitl i ran orthsoi that is failed after 5 min testing on cpu #1 so i increased it up to 1.29 rebbhoted rna test was going fine ran lil longer but i did evenutally have to stop it cause the **** temps where 66,60,60,63 and i started to hear some kind of squeaking or squealing nosie fomr my comp so i stopped it, gonna run orthos see how it goes current it is at like 63 , 58 but it is only testing 2 of the cores anyway, i no i cant increase the cpu voltage anymore because the heat wil be to much it wil go to 70 easy so if the temps climb anymore or if i get another fail im either gonna set it back 2 2.4 caus eno piint in doing 2.6 2.8 oc performance iu can hardly notice. and the fact the when i run either orthos or prime 95 is that i start to here a sqealing nose form computer teemps r all 60+ on all of the cores after it is runnig for about 10min on prime 95 and 60+ on orthos on 2 of the cores i dont no about u but runing gams or w/e i am gonna run and the fact that some of them may cause comp to run at 65 degrres is not good so think i wil leave it at 2.4 for now until i can get a better case and cooler.