Short Quiet HSF suggestions

enricong

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2003
I built a small PC to run linux. Its in a microATX case and the Socket A HSF barely fits, it is maybe 2mm from touching the top of the case. It works fine and is very quiet with the cover off, but as soon as I put it on, it becomes loud. There is a top vent so I think the sound of the air blowing through the holes is making the noise. If I stick something ontop to block the vent, the the sound goes away and everything works fine, the CPU does not over heat, but I dont think this is good for the fan.

It is very close to the PSU fan, so if only the fins were turned 90 degrees, the I think the PSU fan would be enough, but I dont think any exists since the mounting clips arent in that direction. A fan of this style might be nice since I think some air would come from the sides, so I could just block up the top, but I have not found any for Socket A. I'd appreciate any suggestions for another quiet Socket A HSF. It can't be taller than 70MM, and 80x80mm.

enricong

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2003
Thanks, I actually looked at something very similar to that. The issue was that the fan was small so it was louder.

The Fan I am using now is 80mm so it is pretty quiet, about 21dB.

If I could put that on a shorter heatsink, or setup the fan to blow sideways or find a heatsink that allows airflow in the perpendicular direction, i think I'd solve my problem.