Your question

High-End PC for 3D Work and Gaming

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
March 20, 2008 9:44:05 PM

:hello:  Hey Guys, my first post here and its about the system I am about to order soon (very soon) and wanted to have some input on the parts that I am ordering since its my first build. This build is very high end.
Going to be going very slow since this is a huge investment and all the experience I have is putting a replacement heatsink on a video card. I will have a friend who has built high end systems as well available to help me. I will be doing minor overclocking to help boost the system as well.

Any Tips appreciated on this build. (Additional parts(Even small things like wires/screws), incompatibility, etc.)

Software I use:

Work:
Maya 2008
Photoshop CS3
Final Cut Pro 2
3DS Max 9
Zbrush3

Games:
Call of Duty 4
Command and Conquer 3
Final Fantasy XI

System Parts:

Case: $400
COOLER MASTER Stacker 830 Evolution RC-830-SSR3-GP Silver Aluminum ATX Full Tower Computer Case Real Power Pro 1000W Power Supply - Retail
(Looks like a great case and comes with PS, but will 1000W be enough? )

Processor: $1,060
Intel Core 2 Extreme QX9650 Yorkfield 3.0GHz LGA 775 130W Quad-Core Processor Model BX80569QX9650
(Maya takes advantage of Quad Core so going for a good model, QX9770 doesn%u2019t seem to be much of an improvement?)

Mobo: $350
EVGA 132-CK-NF79-A1 LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 790i Ultra SLI DDR3 ATX Intel Motherboard
(Great overclocking board from what the reviews show)

Memory: $1,000
Patriot Extreme Performance 4GB(2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model PDC34G1600LLK
(Hate spending so much on memory, but Mobo requires DDR3)

Video Cards: $1,200
2x EVGA 01G-P3-N891-AR GeForce 9800 GX2 1GB (512MB per GPU) 512-bit (256-bit per GPU) GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card
(Reviews seem low, but quad SLI looks promising from this card bases on forums)

Hard Drives: $175
Western Digital Raptor X WD1500AHFD 150GB 10,000 RPM SATA 1.5Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM
(I have additional HDs already to add besides this, want this for installing the OS and programs on)

Sound Card: $136
Creative 70SB046A00000 7.1 Channels PCI Interface Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer Fatal1ty Professional Series
(Looks like a good sound card)

DVD/CD Burner: $56
SONY 20X DVD±R DVD Burner with 12X DVD-RAM White P-ATA Model DRU840A

DVD/CD/BLU-Ray Reader: $200
SONY Black and Gray SATA Blu-ray DVD-ROM Drive Model BDUX10S

CPU Cooler: $70
ASUS Silent Square EVO 92mm Vapo Bearing CPU Cooler - Retail
(Looks good for keeping my CPU cool for overclocking)

Microsoft Windows Vista 64-Bit Ultimate for System Builders Single Pack DVD - OEM
(To take advantage of 8GB of memory and say good-bye to Page Filing)

Additional Fans: $10
COOLER MASTER R4-L2S-122B-GP 120mm 4 BLUE LED LED Case Fan
(2 Additional Fans (4 Total for System)) (Case Supports up to 9 fans, but forums indicate additional fans aren%u2019t worth the noise increase)

(For attaching CPU Cooler) $6
Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound - OEM
(Read the Compound that comes with Cooler sucks)

Thanks for any and all help, I'll post pics when I'm doing building! :) 

More about : high end work gaming

March 20, 2008 9:50:49 PM

"This build is very high end."

That's a fact.

How much is this all running you? ~$4k, I'm guessing?
March 20, 2008 9:55:04 PM

$4800 =3

I'll work on putting up prices on all the parts.
Related resources
March 20, 2008 10:06:16 PM

Phew. That's a lot of green. Though it looks like you're in the graphics biz, so it'll be put to good use.
March 20, 2008 10:22:21 PM

Yeah, had hoped I could keep it closer to $4K, but that would require different Mobo/Memory configuration, would I really see any difference if I knocked it down to DDR2 and a 790i Mobo? DDR3 has high bandwidth so I imagine that it would be good for Maya so maybe its worth it.

On a side note, I did look at Mac Pros (8 Core) systems, intrigued how those would compare to this setup in 3D applications.
March 20, 2008 10:40:42 PM

ive just got a qx9650 on a evga780i board and could of upgraded to 790i but by the time u need ddr3 i'd want a new system in 2/3 years ive just ordered 2 9800gx2s so i think should be ok for a while you should check out this case though Silerstone Temjin Tj07b very happy it looks the tits and has plenty of space for water cooling etc i dont think ddr3 will make a difference for a while
March 20, 2008 10:41:16 PM

ChrisFS said:
Yeah, had hoped I could keep it closer to $4K, but that would require different Mobo/Memory configuration, would I really see any difference if I knocked it down to DDR2 and a 790i Mobo? DDR3 has high bandwidth so I imagine that it would be good for Maya so maybe its worth it.

On a side note, I did look at Mac Pros (8 Core) systems, intrigued how those would compare to this setup in 3D applications.

Intel skulltrail maybe? Also gaming on a Mac pro is pretty abysmal. 3Dmark on one is 8-9k although i wouldn't judge a computer on that program.

I'm curious about the 2x9800GX2, I think with the prices of the 8800GTX these days maybe 2 of them would be better, even one perhaps. If not wait for the 9800GTX, hopefully they'll up the memory to provide you with more room to move those images about. I'd highly recommend setting up Raid 0 instead of that raptor, you'll get better performance and you should find the increased speed to help you out.

Drop down to DDR2 and grab yourself 8GB of ram, that will save you a lot and increase your work rate.
March 20, 2008 11:02:50 PM

Wow, would have thought the Mac Pro would get better scores than that, guess I was right in not going towards that.

Skulltrain would be nice, but the price of doing that setup is too much, this setup is really pushing it for me already, I really am considering dropping down to a older mobo so I can use DDR2 and save myself $800. 8GB for sure too, maya and photoshop are resource hogs and I like being able to run both at the same time when doing texturing.

Also: JP Review on 9800GTX
http://www.nordichardware.com/news,7513.html

May 7, 2008 4:45:03 PM

You really need to use a Maya tested video card and not a GeForce card, no matter how fast. Certain interface elements will simply not appear in Maya if you do this. Plus, it may affect your hardware rendering. Go to Autodesk website to see which cards (mostly higher end QuadroFX cards) passed their tests.

Unfortunately, cards that work well for 3D work don't work so well for gaming (I'm not sure the exact ramifications since I am not a pc gamer). You have to choose one or the other emphasis for your pc.
!