AMD CPU Technology used for the films Madagascar and over the hedge

thunderman

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2007
It looks like Dreamworks Animation needed a lot of processing power to create these popular animated film, only AMD's advanced technology would do it seems...Intel were not an attractive option it seems.......

Articles:
http://www.amd.com/us-en/0,,3715_14123,,00.html

http://www.technologynewsdaily.com/node/725

Quotes from AMD website:

How do you make millions of hairs on a furry raccoon come to life? Or thousands of leaves on perfectly manicured hedges sway in the wind, just as they would in a real breeze?

You do it with the revolutionary partnership of AMD and DreamWorks Animation, where animation artists tapped into the ground-breaking force of AMD's dual-core processors to bring their spectacular vision to the screen.

Over the Hedge is an extraordinary movie experience brought to you by the talent of today's leading animation team, DreamWorks Animation, and the technology of AMD and HP.

Audiences have come to expect more sophistication from animated films. In order to continue to innovate, DreamWorks Animation is always in search of better and faster technical resources. The sheer processing power needed to produce animated films like these is enormous, and DreamWorks Animation relies on technology partners that are up to the task. Enter AMD

To make Over the Hedge, DreamWorks Animation artists and technicians relied on over 200 AMD-powered state-of-the-art HP workstations. They worked tirelessly on these cutting-edge, dual-monitor HP xw9300 workstations outfitted with an enormous compute capacity at their fingertips.

AMD technology was also used to make Star wars episode 3! This is proof AMD are still great! Phenom 9850 CPU looking like a strong product! AMD care! Intel are Evil!!

Hellboy

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2007

Feck off

mi1ez

Splendid

Quite!

Now what one website will BIG UP the AMD processors more than anyone else...

hmmm...

Now, is someone an AMD employee, or is someone trying to make themselves feel better about their Phenom?...

doomsdaydave11

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2007
spam! And this is coming from (me) an old AMD fanboy. Intel is dominating the CPU market, and there's nothing we can do. All companies have their ups and downs. Chill.

And wtf hellboy. You're supposedly 39, but you post **** like a oblivious 13 year old. Post an intelligent post, or don't at all.

Hellboy

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2007

lets hope he is in that special AMD's 10%

Hellboy

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2007

Hey, go to ebay and buy a funny side...... you need it....

To be honest, this sort of trolling gets on my nerves and before i went in to a rant, i took a deep breath and said it in two words...

And no it werent Big Mac

Hahahahaha its thundernewb!!!!!!

Hey AMD has a partnership with a company that uses their CPUs only, can't that be seen as monopolistic behavior since its a deal between AMD and Dreamworks? Even though right now in digital media encoding and graphics it is prove that a Intel CPU will do it faster therefore cutting time out of prduction therfore lowering the films overall costs?

Eitherway welcome back Thunder-doofus. We missed you pointlessness.

Oh and Madagascar was in 2007 along with Over the Hedge, if I remember correctly. Might have been started in 2006 but the Core2 was out then.

spuddyt

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2007
its strange how he seems to garner a sort of familiar hatred/affection.... because he's so stupid its funny, but its annoying as well...

Just watched Seinfeld's "Bee Movie" which is also a Dreamworks SKG production, and Thunderpants will be amazed to know there is a whole Dreamworks/HP/AMD advertisement posing as a special feature on the DVD. In fact, it has an amazingly similar reference to all the little hairs on the bee's arses, requiring some 22 million CPU hours or some such, using "AMD Opteron 64" technology. Made me wanna grow hair on my own arse :). However I'll just wait for Nehalem..

ZOldDude

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2006
To be honest, this sort of trolling gets on my nerves...
Get's on mine also and to be 100% honest your the one starting it this time.

Now to say a bit to the OP and on topic:
You did not already know this?
Movie companies and Cray use AMD becuase they connect lots more CPU's than your web/file servers and AMD can connect dirrect from CPU-to-CPU.

The more CPU's you have working together the faster it becomes over Intel.

No other reason.
Not price.
Not raw speed.

Intel for the past year has been makeing a better product if your using 1 or 2 CPU's and that is what most of the MB's sold use.

Value @ dualcore stock 3Ghz speed is a different subject howerver.
The truth is if you have two systems set up in a game software shop...same RAM speeds/monitors/GFX cards and sound and @ standard res...that if 10K people were asked to say which box was using what brand of CPU they could not tell you.
So in this example the best value would be the AMD that sales for $100 less.

The reason for using 3Ghz stock in the above example is that most people do not OC or use dual GFX cards with large high res monitors/TV/ or multi monitor game systems,and 3Ghz does not bottelneck the system.

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
Thunderdork is pretty funny.

I think it's great. AMD needs all the good PR they can get. The people that don't know any better or care should by AMD, someone needs to keep them in business. They need some breathing room to at least try to catch up. Let's hope they can design a CPU that makes the Intel processors look like junk.

Everyone seems to loose sight of the ramifications of AMD going belly up.

Don't forget, we need AMD to survive and thrive or innovation will stall and the new CPUs will cost a fortune.

spuddyt

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2007
ZOldDude - i dont think you've seen thunderman's regular posts - at least judging from your reaction (ie you bothered to respond to him) but, just a word of advice - dont bother, he rarely reads his posts again, and he never EVER uses logic (except in the rare event it favours AMD)

+1.

And as usual I must post: :lol:
This Is What Happens To a Troll
2319238695_ef31bc061c_o.jpg

Funny you should mention it cuz supposively what Intel did with Dell was contractual as well. If it would be a moot point here, shouldn't it be the same with OEMs if they also signed the contract accepting the terms that Intel proposed?

spuddyt

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2007
i'm not sure, but i'm pretty sure that x64 doesn't have its own liscence (i could be wrong, but isn't it just a different way of doing x86?)

exit2dos

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2006
VIA has a license, but I don't think it entails the upgrades (SSE, etc.).

x64 doesn't have a license, per se. It is an extention of the x86 set and it falls under the "Shared Technolgies" agreement between AMD and Intel - where they are both allowed to use the upgraded instructions to the x86 architecture, regardless which company came up with it.