second attemp at computer build..having problems again!!!

djstring

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2008
so this is my second attempt at building a computer. The first time i forgot to put in standoffs and fryed my motherboard..i finally got done installing everything today hoping it would turn on fine but then it doesnt boot up all the way. It turns on for 3 seconds and then just powers off..everything seems to turn on when i press the power button. When i plug in the power cord the green led turns on.

this is my set u

PSU ROSEWILL | RP600V2-S-SL 600W
MB ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe
CPU AMD|A64 X2 6400 3.2G AM2
Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400
8800 gtx

i researched as much as i could so there wouldnt be a problem but then i guess i missed something...
i pulled the ram out and tryed booting it but the same thing happened..could it be my power supply dont have enough power to support what i have installed on my computer? any information would help me alot...thx

vangvace

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2006
could be a bad power supply or mobo leaning towards PSU.
when it turns on does it make it out of mem test? Do you hear any beeps from the speaker? Do the case fans come on?

Plyro109

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2007
My friend had the same problem! He pulled of the heatsink after putting it down for some reason, and never replaced the thermal paste. The processor was shutting itself down to prevent thermal damage. You may want to reapply thermal paste just in case.

djstring

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2008
i took out the cpu fan and spreaaded the thermal paste some more to see if it would help. same thing happened so i tryed using a different cpu fan but it just turns off...im geting no beeps or anything..i tryed booting it up with the graphic card unplugged and ram uninstalled but still the same thing..turns off after 2 seconds..

stoner133

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2008
Do you have both cables from the power supply plugged into the motherboard? Plus the cable from the power supply to the video card. If so I would be leaning toward the PSU being weak.

djstring

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2008
ill look and see if theres another cpu fan slot...but the fan for the cpu turns on when i push the power button and the power button seems fine..it pops up after i press it..and yeah i have all the power supply wires plugged in..i tryed booting it up without my graphic card but did the same thing to so im not sure if its my powersupply being to weak. how long does it usually take till it starts beeping? if somethings wrong?

dokk2

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2007

other than your psu [never heard of rosewill] you seem to have a solid system,re beeps,,usually if there is a bios problem it will commence beeping at boot,you might want to try testing the mobo outside of the case start with just the video and 1 stick of ram and go from there,you need to try to isolate the source of the problem,check that all connections/power and data are firmly in place,and make sure that your psu has the required amps/volts,,some no name psu's do not deliver as advertised,there was a time when i had the same problem,turned out that the onboard battery was not fully charged,left it set for a while and presto no problem,don't think so in your case,not now a days anyhow ??...i had a similar problem with my present board also an asus,only it beeped at me took it back to the store ,,it worked fine,,brought it home plugged it ,,it worked fine,, go figure,,,BUT i pretested it before i installed it this time still working fine..:) can you do the same??
the great advantage of buying locally is if things go snafu,well the store is only a bus ride away.....g'luck...

hairycat101

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2007
PSU... My guess, anyways. If you can test the PSU, do so. If you can't, try re-seating the plugs.

Just looked up G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400 on new egg. What pair do you have?

Also, none of these pairs has a particularly low voltage. I don't have any experience with this particular MoBo, so I have to ask... Is this ram compatible?

kad

Distinguished
Feb 29, 2008
Check power supply connections to graphic card
Check DVI connections to both graphic card and monitor
Check power supply and data connections to your HDD
Make sure keyboard and mouse are connected

hairycat101

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2007
Check power supply connections to graphic card <<< Ok.. Sure. This might actually be an issue

Check DVI connections to both graphic card and monitor <<< Smoke crack much? You can start a computer without a monitor.

Check power supply and data connections to your HDD <<< Again, this won't keep it from at least posting.

Make sure keyboard and mouse are connected <<< Again, this won't keep it from at least posting.

Take the motherboard out of the case, lay it on a flat surface next to the case with piece of cardboard under it. Start with only 1 stick of memory, the GPU and the CPU with the heatsink. Hook up the power and your monitor, see if you can get it to post from there. If so, remount the board, and try again, if it posts, start adding 1 thing at a time.

hairycat101

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2007

Best advice given so far. I would add this though. Make sure you don't build up static electricity and shock the components. Keep touching something to ground yourself.

kad

Distinguished
Feb 29, 2008
Double Chech please you are loosing anything
I'm almpst sure it is a connection problem
If it was me I'll disconnect everyrhing and even remove memories and all cards and redo all
I'll try also the memory sticks in different Dimms

djstring

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2008
i rechecked all wires...took it out of the motherboard and laid it on flat surface with cardboard tryed booting it up still same thing...tryed it without the cpu or graphic card same thing...do you guys think its more likely my power supply that i should replace first? since it doesnt boot up even if i have my ram in or out..

ImajorI

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2007
Take your time.
Read your motherboard manual.
Read this if needed http://www.pcmech.com/byopc/.
Try what jitpublisher says.
Borrow a friends PSU, thats probably the problem. If so, get a new one from Shadow's list tier 3 or better depending on your budget.
Have a another computer up, so you can ask the forum questions, as you build step by step.