New Heatsink, 27c idle, jumps to 45c idle - what went wrong?

djvibes2007

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2008
Hi, i had one heck of a day yesterday, not been smart when it comes down to the insides of a pc, i took the dive with some help for a few others (in the asus forum on this site) and spent around 8 hours removing my stock heatsink, to install my new Blue Orb II. Its the first time i have ever done such a brave (nearly stupid!) thing, i had to remove the whole motherboard and everything, to fit the orb's brackets on. I did everything by the book, cleaned old paste with proper solution, applied Arctic Cooling MX-2 (covered all the core, very flat and light), put motherboard back in with new heatsink screwed on etc, etc..

Booted up (not first time, i didnt have the front panel connectors in properly), loaded into windows and ran Core Temp. Each core was an average 27c, impressive given the stock cooler was idling around 40c and more. Around 5-10 minutes in, even when idle the temps have shot up to around 45c-50c, possibly higher then the stock cooler! So i figured i would turn the pc off for around 4 hours, booted up again, checked temps, same as before around 27c, a few minutes in they jump again to around 45c-50c!

So my question is, what has gone wrong? When the paste settles in, will it stay around 27c, or am i looking at it been the latter, at around 45c? What should i do, should i leave it, or take the heatsink off again, clean the paste off and reapply it?

I dont understand how it can jump so much from 27c idle, to around 45c idle just after 5 minutes or so. i mean i expect it to raise higher naturally, but thats a massive leap!

My SPEC:

Q6600 GO stepping (stock 2.4ghz - hope to clock to around 3.2ghz)
4x1Gb Corsair XMS2 800Mhz
Asus P5N-E SLI
8800GT
X-Cruiser case (1 top case fan, side vent, rear case fan, 1 fox-1 blower)

Thanks for your help :hello:

einstein4pres

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2007
Are you sure that you're observing idle temperatures? What are the load temperatures before/after? Maybe some background process is running that starts up a few minutes in?

i cant believe ppl ask those questions ;p

if idle temp suddenly increased check the task manager to see if your cpus is being used, check temperature in bios, if idle temps are still high then reseat the heatsink

aeiouandxyz

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
Idle means that the computer has zero or close to zero load for at least 10 minutes. The 10 minutes gives time for the processor to cool down after any amount of load on it.

djvibes2007

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2008
i have task manager running in the system tray, by idle i mean the pc loads windows up etc, then i open core temp, and stay on the desktop for a few minutes with no other activity, apart from maybe the odd 1-3% fluxuation, nothing of a high enough load to add more then 15% to the temperatures.

and yes aeiouandxyz, you are right, it normally only takes around a minute or two to finish loading avg, and a couple other of my startup programs. So after 10 minutes there is definately not a lot happening in terms of processor usage.

APieceOfCheese

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2006
Thermal equilibrium is my guess. At the start, everything in your case is room temperature. After a while, everything in the case comes to thermal equilibrium with the heat put off by the cpu, so your idle temp increases. The same thing happens with my watercooling setup. At boot idle is around 19c. After it sits a while and the water and case are in thermal equilibrium, idle is around 25c.

djvibes2007

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2008
is there a way to drop these temps then? the blue orb ii which is massive compared to the stock intel cooler doesnt seem to make much of a difference with the temps. Something doesnt seem right, im sure this was supposed to make it a lot more cooler

APieceOfCheese

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2006
Some coolers just don't work well. I'm not sure about yours. You could try reseating it with some new paste but I'm not sure that will help. Tidy up your cables. Make sure there's plenty of air flowing from front to back through your case. If the heat can't escape the case it just keeps building up and your temps keep rising.

djvibes2007

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2008
so should clean the paste off and put some new on? im using Arctic Cooling MX-2. when i put it on, i spread it all over the core very light and evenly, i read you only need a little line? Should i try that, and do i screw it in as tight as it will go? its on very tight now, but to get a good contact do i try and force it in a bit more?