Damaged USB Port

G

Hello all,

I recently had an accident where my keyboard that was plugged into a front USB port on my PC fell and jerked the cable. On further inspection, it had broken the little black piece, allowing it to come out when a device is removed. However, the port still works. Is there a safe glue that can be used to cement the black piece in place so it doesn't get stuck in something like my USB drive?

Mel

G

If you look at a USB port, there is a black bar that goes across the opening and goes inside the plug that is inserted. That is what is broken, at the back where it connects.

dagger

Splendid
Mar 23, 2008

The plastic tongue in the middle of the USB slot.

Why are you plugging a keyboard in front anyway? It ought to go on back. Anyway, I doubt regular glue is going to hold it secure. Supergule will make it permanent. It's just an USB port, you can live without it. :p

G

I sit in a recliner and the front port is the closest to me. :p And since I have the CPU under a desk, and there are only two front ports, both are very very valuable to me. lol

Mel

G

Indeed. I have to get a powered hub so I can have two drives and my keyboard all in at once in the front.

G

Alas, I bought my machine from a boutique company, and since it's out of warranty, the costs are huge! So if I can use just a touch of glue, I 'm all for it. I would just hate to use something that will end up shorting my system.

dagger

Splendid
Mar 23, 2008
Alas, I bought my machine from a boutique company, and since it's out of warranty, the costs are huge! So if I can use just a touch of glue, I 'm all for it. I would just hate to use something that will end up shorting my system.

Glue won't short out your system, it just won't work very well. And warranty don't cover mechanical damage that's your own fault. :p

G

Well, as long as it's functional, that's all that matters. I mean, it works as is, it's just that I'm concerned about the little thingie getting stuck inside a USB device when I unplug it.

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005
Hello all,

I recently had an accident where my keyboard that was plugged into a front USB port on my PC fell and jerked the cable. On further inspection, it had broken the little black piece, allowing it to come out when a device is removed. However, the port still works. Is there a safe glue that can be used to cement the black piece in place so it doesn't get stuck in something like my USB drive?

Mel

Decision tree:
A: Does it still work? Don't worry about it
B: No it doesn't. Replace part.
C: part is too expensive / unavailable for replacement. Get USB to PS2 adapter, and possibly a USB extension, and use the PS2 port on the back of the PC.