Sign in with
Your question

External Drive and speedfan

Last response: in Storage
May 6, 2009 4:35:05 PM

Here is a good one for you tech guru's to ponder.I see alot of folks here recommend speedfan and most users seem very knowledgeable so has anyone on here ever seen an external hard drive stop responding when speedfan queries the S.M.A.R.T. The drive slowly allows less and less access over about 5 minutes untill disappearing altogether although windows complains immediately about delayed write failure (curiously even though write caching is disabled. A simple unplug and replug gets it back although safe removal is a moot point (that is why i disabled write caching.Not in immediate trouble but violently curious about this oddness. Any observation or insight is greatly appreciated.
May 12, 2009 9:20:43 PM

texturednb said:
Here is a good one for you tech guru's to ponder.I see alot of folks here recommend speedfan and most users seem very knowledgeable so has anyone on here ever seen an external hard drive stop responding when speedfan queries the S.M.A.R.T. The drive slowly allows less and less access over about 5 minutes untill disappearing altogether although windows complains immediately about delayed write failure (curiously even though write caching is disabled. A simple unplug and replug gets it back although safe removal is a moot point (that is why i disabled write caching.Not in immediate trouble but violently curious about this oddness. Any observation or insight is greatly appreciated.

New update: Had some issues with AVG Free 8.5 like just about everyone since the uograde, and had to switch to Avira.Now it appears this drive drops out whenever Avira scans it.This is about the weirdest thing i've ever seen no problems copying files in either direction, chkdsk is fine, as well as deep optimizing defrags i've seen alot of these errors occur during these type of tasks for various reasons but not when limited to this type of scan
May 18, 2009 9:52:39 AM

seem to be running my own private thread here but i see quite a few reads so maybe no one has any answers.I'm going to assume thatposting my findings may help someone. I have stumbled upon my solution.Fell asleep one nigh watching some divx files stored on the external drive in question therefore having a windows exlporer window open when avira antivir did its thing for some reason this causes windows to not drop the drive perhaps keeping those thumbnails cached causes windows to remember it's presence. This also works for starting speedfan.
I do sincerely hope that someone is helped by this post as i have received much help and knowledge on this board in the past
!