Graphics Card and Monitor Upgrade Question

This is my first post on these forums. Greetings!

Okay, here’s my dilemma. I currently have an 8800GTS 320MB, and it has served me well for the past year on my 17” CRT. Actually, I can max out Crysis on it (DX9 Very High) with average 25 fps. However, I really am getting sick of 1024x768 on a 16” screen (since it is a CRT) and would like to upgrade to an LCD with a larger resolution. As soon as I go above 1024x768 on the CRT, the refresh rate is only at 60htz and that gives me headaches.

I was thinking of trying to sell my GTS 320, but I’ll probably only get about 75 bucks for it since their prices (and hence value) have dropped. If I do that, I will have a budget of about $375 for a monitor and graphics card.

This 8800gt looks like a great deal, especially since it has a dual slot cooler on it:

EDIT: This had a 30 dollar mail in rebate when I posted this. Guess I'll have to wait for the price to go down.

I don't think I want to spend much more on a card, because I don't think it would be worth the performance difference between my current card and a new one.

OR - Do you think I should wait for ATI's 4000s this summer or Nvidia's true next-gen cards (hopefully this fall).

Thanks for your opinions!
2 answers Last reply
More about graphics card monitor upgrade question
  1. 8800gt is a great card and matches well with LCD up to 1680 x 1050 resolution. I go by the rule I buy what I want now when I feel the need, waiting for hardware that is not out yet is a wait forever because there is always something bigger and better in the near future.
  2. I'm very tempted to go by that rule, but now the Geforce 9900s are rumored to be out in July. :pt1cable: I'll think about it some more, but I may wait for the 9900s and go for a nice monitor now.

I think I want to go with this over a 22inch; the closer the pixels are crammed, the better the image quality. (The pixel pitch is 0.258mm).

What about a 19inch at 1680x1050 (pixel pitch 0.243mm)? It's also cheaper than the above 20inch.

I'll have to turn some settings down since these two are 1680x1050, but that's cool for now.

Thanks again!
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards CRT Monitors Graphics