New Egg Open Box Item Question

sabwafare2001

Distinguished
May 12, 2008
I am thinking about buying a mobo that is a New Egg open box item. There is a $50 difference between the retail price with an additional $40 off. So it's a $90 difference. Do you think it is worth the risk to purchase it. I was told by the Asus warranty department that they base warranties off of only serial #, therefore I can send it for service if necessary. I realize it may come with no accessories and I am ready to download drivers, manual, and order I/O plates if necessary. Please let me know you opinions. Thanks for you help.

roadrunner197069

Splendid
Sep 3, 2007
Go for it. Most likely it got sent back because of wrong ram or wrong bios for a newer chip. Usually they come with the stuff, but there is no garantee. 90% chance it will all be there.

thepinkpanther

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2004
I asked the same question like a month ago, most people said tat dont trust open box things. I was gonna save like 50% for a x38 mobos but i trusted the tomshardware people and got it at full price and i am happy ever since! Also new feels better, well to me.

B-Unit

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2006
Ive bought a few open-box items, its a good way to save money if your not picky about things like manuals, cables, etc. The open-box items are tested by newegg so you shouldnt recieve a DOA, but be sure to test it soon, as there is only a 10 day return window for open box items.

clay12340

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2007
I would base it on your comfort level with the equipment and customer service hassles. Chances are the board is fine and will have all the extra parts. If you aren't comfortable troubleshooting in the event that you find a problem, then you should weigh that into your considerations.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Only issue I see is that you will probably not get the ASUS soundcard (if applicable), the MB dress plate for the case, and any cooling fans for chipsets/MOSFETs. I know there is a site that ASUS has that you can get the other pieces, but they are pretty expensive ($50 for their MB soundcard). I would say go for it though, even if you are missing the soundcard, you can get a decent cheap one for <$35 if you want.

bimmerbill

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2007
I bought an open box Artic Cooling 7 HSF. It was perfect, and I couldn't see a thing wrong with it. I'd be more scared of buying a Mobo open box tho.

adder1971

Distinguished
May 2, 2006
I always look for open box stuff from there. just got an asus p5n-e sli for 49.99 (now they are not as good a deal at 99.99) and one of the msi 8800gt 512mb open boxed for 149. can't beat it. both work flawlessly. even overclocked em both :)

the MB didn't come with any cables though, but since i fubarred the one i already had (same exact board) didn't really need the cables.

and as to how i screwed up that mb, don't ask....... :lol:

M3d

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2006
I bought a Socket A Asus AMD board a few years back and it did not come with the I/O plate. It was a good board while it lasted. Just remember you may not get all parts. You may end up saving a substantial amount of money it it works but if it doesn't just return it.

From what I've read over the years just because you buy a brand new board it is not guaranteed it will work.

bobbknight

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2006
I bought a newegg open box biostar motherboard, it worked fine and I got all the stuff it comes with.
You got 15 days from the time you buy it to send it back, so be ready to test it in case you wish to send it back.
Also be sure you have all the right stuff to test it.

coldneutron

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2006

Newegg told my friend, who bought an open box ups that turned out to be deffective, that they DO NOT test open box items. I wouldn't buy open box.

invisik

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2008
no i wouldnt buy open items. i bought 2 open box mobo and a hardrive and guess wat the 2 mobo didnt work and the hardrive failed after 2 months. buy a new one im going through soo much hassle now. now i gotta rma through manufacture and pay the shipping charges and need to wait for a while. My 3rd mobo works tho got lucky i guess, but i wouldnt recommend it unless u have patience.

halcyon

Splendid
I know buying open box items can save you money. I grew up with the belief to stick with things that were "Manufacturer Sealed" from buying home audio gear for years. That's not the best way to get the best deal but I like knowing no one else abused my products before me. As long as you're willing to RMA it.... Is it open box because the previous owner tried to overclock the **** out of a Celeron and couldn't get the speed she wanted? ...not a motherboard I'd want and you don't know what the previous owner did.

So again, its a risk and $90 is nothing to sneeze at...just be prepared for the RMA.

TRENDING THREADS