Hardware upgrade... now what happens with XP installation?

polacoluciano

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
Hi all,

im not sure if this is the right place to post this question. I am planning to upgrade my pc from p4 2.8 HT 1 GB ram ASUS P5VD1-X chipset VIA Apollo PT880 Ultra 2 western digital HDD RAID 0, to intel E2160 Mother Gigabyte P35 2 GB ram same HDD configuration, the thing is that most likely windows xp will not boot after i made those hardware changes.

1- Is there a way of preparing the system for the hardware upgrade?
2- Will the windows repair option work, leaving the system "as it was".
3- Is it a myth that windows will be slower if xp is not reinstalled from scratch?

thanks

regards :)

tekzor

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006
I think mobo changes affect xp the most and most likely will require a fresh install. Mobos of same manufacturers have a chance of working but its gona be slow. Just do a back up if you can and reinstall.

polacoluciano

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
thank you very much for your prompt response guys!!! really appreciate it, another thing im analyzing is whether buy a 250GB sata 2 HDD or keep my RAID 0 or even buy 2 equal HDD'S to use them as RAID 0. Any suggestions?

dobby

Distinguished
May 24, 2006
how big is the total of your currnet Raid array?

i have never got XP to work with a that much cahnged hardware.

although i wish that they would change that.

pauldh

Illustrious
Yeah, as people are saying...you will get the best performance and stability doing a fresh OS install when swapping mobos like that. Doing a repair install or just wiping all system drivers instead is just asking for headaches IMO. I have done it before when a mobo fails, but it was the same chipset replacement not like your Via to P35 swap. Building a nice new rig, why start out with a flaky OS.