Your question

Need help with GPU choice(s).

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Graphics
  • Product
Last response: in Graphics Cards
March 30, 2008 4:05:35 PM

I'm currently trying to wrap up my new gaming computer, and here's my current (As in I already have them) part list:
Coolermaster Cosmos 1000
PCP&C 610W Silencer
Wolfdale E8400
Tuniq Tower
Gigabyte GA-EX38-DS4
4GB (2x2) Patriot Viper DDR2-800
(Total for these so far: $1030)
500GB Seagate Barracuda (Would like to get another and RAID depending on budget)
And now I have to decide on graphics cards. I had originally intended to get a 9800GT/S/X, but with price point models and the supposed "benchmarks" that have come out I'm beginning to doubt. I don't know when they're slated to launch, but I'd like to be able to start ripping through some games before, say, April 20th. My budget's upper limit is about $1600, but I'd like to stay south of $1500 (Give me some money to buy games to play on my new system :p ) and I want suggestions for graphics cards.
My main problem is that I have been an avid eVGA/Nvidia fan for quite awhile (7800GS, 7900GT, 7950GT KO) and would like to continue the trend. If there's a card available from eVGA/Nvidia that will do me well for the next year-and-a-half (The usual life of my systems) with maybe a 45nm quad as a possible upgrade, That's what I want to use. But I'm still, in the end, searching for the best price/performance that I can possibly get.
I'd just like to see what you guys think I should get to be able to get the best performance out of this system.
I am planning to overclock, but not right out of the gate. I generally wait at least until my newegg 30-day refund thing has expired to void my warranties. Once I do decide to overclock, I would like to be able to push the cards along with the processor.
Thanks a bunch for any and all help!

More about : gpu choice

a b U Graphics card
March 30, 2008 4:42:54 PM

Currently, for less problems heatwise and better performance wise, its the GTS512, tho the GT is good but has heat issues and isnt the same performance wise. Tommorrow you should be able to see what the 9800GTX single can do. If it were me, and I wanted something to last, but wanted it within the next 3 weeks, either the GTS 512 or the 9800GTX single, depending on price performance and availibility
March 30, 2008 4:44:29 PM

Well hell if the 9800GTX comes out tomorrow I'll grab one if I can afford it.
I shall arise at a wee early hour before school.

For some reason, even though I've been browsing daily, I hadn't heard about the April 1st release for the 9800GTX.
Hope it's not a AF's joke.

EDIT: Do you have any idea what the price-point might be for an eVGA 9800GTX 512 would be? Around $450-500?
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
March 30, 2008 4:46:24 PM

Not from me it isnt, tho with all the naming problems that Nvidias been going thru, I doubt theyd do that
March 30, 2008 4:51:56 PM

Sorry if it came off as such, but I wasn't trying to accuse you of pulling a joke over on me. I meant to intend that it would be Nvidia's joke, but I doubt that they'd do such a thing.
Trying to find prices not having much luck anywhere.
a b U Graphics card
March 30, 2008 4:55:44 PM

Ive seen quotes from 300 to 400, but early on look at 350+. And I knew you didnt think I was, but it is an odd day to release a card...
March 30, 2008 4:58:40 PM

It most certainly is.
Well, all I can hope for is that I will wake up early enough (6am CST) tomorrow to order one from either eVGA or Newegg before they all go poof.
Thanks much for the help, really helped me get off the fence.
a b U Graphics card
March 30, 2008 6:40:19 PM

It most like going to be released tomorrow or april 1st. priced at 349.99 or 399.99 probably not 300$ which would interfere 8800gts g92 sales. nvidia is known to overprice these days. gasp..
March 30, 2008 7:43:32 PM

I forgot that tomorrow isn't April 1st... oh well. I'll check anyway.
Thanks for the help.