Graphene as a replacement for Silicon?

spuddyt

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2007
i've heard of this before..... but its not really going to acheive much in the near future (by the time it exists, AMD will be dead and intel will just use whats cheap and charge us $90000000000 for it)

dobby

Distinguished
May 24, 2006
Nah, if AMD go out, i grantee that Big Blue, IBM, will take it place, the reason they arnt right now, is becasue a third party in the CPU market is just to riscky. but if IBM started making CPU they would do soemthing inavitive.

this graphene sounds interesting, but its gonna be a while.

its a shame BBC dont get very technical. as far as im aware 45Nm trans are 4 atoms thick.

thanks for Linking this miles

mihirkula

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2007
They already fried cancerous cells in mice with nanotech last week... its very promising indeed...graphene is mechanical tough, flexible, transparent, and a great conductor...and electrons can travel upto more than 100 times faster in graphene coampared to silicon ..yippikaiyee :)

amdfangirl I have 1.5 / 384 here ... out in the boonies south of Perth (end of the Freeway).

We are connected to poor copper here (with archaic gear in the exchanges) ... no fibre to the street like Sydney.

Sometimes I have to hit the router to scare the electrons to go a bit faster.

I have poor eyesight so I can't go optical :)

lol ...

spuddyt

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2007
how strong would a "cable" of graphene actually be? because if it get snapped in two when you flick it, it wouldn't do well as a LAN cable or internet cable at my home....

It isn't.

The LCD monitor idea in the article looks promising ... at least sounds like it can be practical soon.

LCD screens need a lot of work.

I tuned a new 42" Panasonic Vienna Plasma today ... picture was astounding compared to the LCD I was watching earlier ... just so much brighter and the Contrast ratio was uber.

Technology to improve LCD screens will be welcome ... particularly given the Plasma's don't last as long ... ( i it 5 years or so ??).