phantomdentist

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2008
Nvidia system monitor tells me my MCP is running at 113c Idol!

It seems like it might be accurate because having turned off and back on a few mins later it reports the temp as about 40c

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Spec

BFG 680i sli mobo
BFG 8800gtx
Core 2 Duo 6400 2.13ghz (oced to 2.6)
BFG 1000watt psu
2 gig Corsair Dominator ram (2 x 1gb)
Thermaltake VE2000BWS Armour LCS Super Tower - Black (water cooled)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I built this rig in May - 07 and have changed nothing since then. Its always run quite hot

cpu 45 - 50 idol
gpu 80 idol
system 35 idol

----

cpu 70 load
gpu 100 load
system 45 load

The temps have been around this from day 1 and there has never been an stability issues what so ever.

Yesterday I installed the Nvidia system monitor but didnt check temps

Today whilst playing cod5 its been hanging badly at random points in a way that made me think it might be temp related. I checked the monitor n found the 113mcp temp!

However, it seems bloody unlikly that the very same day (after 1.5 years) that I install Nvidia monitor I start to have heat issues. Far more likly that the temps have always been this way, cod:wow is crashing due to something else (ie drivers) and I just hapened to spot the temp the same day. COD4 runs 1920 x 1200 full settings at 60 - 70 fps without issue for long periods of time, as do other installed games.

Can someone show me where the MCP is on this board (BFG 680i sli) so I can check for any visible issues and physically check the temp.

Cheers

slo

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2008
i have an evga 680i with a fancooled mpc and barely goes over 60-65C when there is load, aspecially heavy graphics. my confic is almost the same

E6600 @3 ghz sits at 35C idle wnad 42-48C when gaming.
8800gtx idles at 65C load at 80-85C
Evga 680i 50-60C
520W cosrair HX PSU
2 gigs oCZ ram

All your temps seem high for a watercooled system. My CPU is aircooled by a tt big typhoon and my temps are much lower than yours
Ambient temp here is 26-27C.

The MPC should be under the Cpu socket if you have a standard oriented atx case. The bfg mobo has the same mpc cooler as my evga... (the heatsink that says "[BFG tech]" on it.
http://hwt.dk/images/literature/8004/Bundkort--19017501.jpg

It seems that your pc is near a source of heat or does not have sufficient ventilation and air flow

Conumdrum

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
Temps will be high on the CPU with that WC setup. It's very weak. Whats the ambient temps? What case? What fans?

Put a 80mm fan on the NB before it goes poof.

phantomdentist

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2008
Solved.

Was having a looky to see if i could find a reason for the MCP temp. There were a couple of power connectors out of their cable ties that were in contact with the nb heat sink. Seemed they were messing with its heat dissipation because with them neatly tucked away the temp dropped to idol 75/6 and stays at 75/6 at load.

With the temp down by about 40c my other temps have dropped a little as well, only by a few c but makes a difference.

As 76 is still reasonably high do you think its still worth sticking in another 80mm fan?

Atm the case has 3 x 120 mm fans, 1 x 80mm and 1 smaller

Cheers both of you and ty slo for pointing out where on the board MCP was refering to, otherwise I might not have noticed the cables in contact.