Recommended motherboard for my build

tanthanis

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
I am looking into a new build for school next year. I need a build that will be able to graphics intensive programming and gaming. So far i have the Intel E8500 core 2 duo processor, EVGA 512-P3-N808-AR GeForce 8800GT videocard. What motherboard should I get. I am stuck. I was looking at Asus motherboards but it seems everybody is having problems. Or is that because they are all idiots?

X38/x48 are the latest Intel chipsets. 790i is the latest nvidia chipset. Many still use the P35. ASUS makes fine boards and yes, many of the people experiencing problems do not know what they are doing.

1971Rhino

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2008
If you want to add another 8800GT a board with an Nvidia chipset is the way to go. I have an EVGA 790i Ultra. I'm pretty happy with it. Although you have to go with DDR3 RAM which means $$$ or you can go with a 780i and use DDR2.

ASUS makes solid boards, and if that's the brand you like and it has the features you like. I don't see why you shouldn't get an ASUS board. I think if you look hard enough you'll find people having trouble with almost every single motherboard out there.

major53

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2007

agree with badge x38 & x48 are good boards,I just broght the gigabyte p35 dsl mobo,which I'm hopeing will be in on tuesday 5-13-08,also remember what ever your motherboard you choice make sure you have good air flow through the case and haveing good psu is the way to go.

tanthanis

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
I think I am going to wait for the 9800 ultra video cards to come out. I am going to have to do my research then. I don't know what those video cards need from a mobo.

As far as 9800 and MB basic requirement, the card will require a MB with a PCIE slot. The latest chipsets have been mentioned. X38, x48 and 790i support PCIE 2.0. Later revision P35 chipsets may or may not, maybe only PCIE 1.0.

sailer

Splendid

I bought an ASUS X48 Rampage Formula and its been without problems so far. I agree with Badge. Most people having problems don't know what they're doing, thus they blame the motherboard for their inexperience or idiocy, whichever the case may be.

tanthanis

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
Has anybody heard anything about the Asus Stryker II mobo? I was thinking about getting that one when it drops in price a little.