New build problems with Crysis

nevynev

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2006
Hi Guys,

Had to build new gaming pc for work - gave me £1400 ex vat to spend which is always nice...

Spec
ASUS P5N-T Deluxe
Intel Core 2 Quad Pro Q6600 Energy Efficient SLACR 95W Edition 2.40GHz (1066FSB)
OCZ 4 GB RAM PC2-8000C5 1000MHz ReaperX
(ALL ABOVE BUNDLED FROM OVERCLOCKERS.CO.UK TO ENSURE COMPATABILITY)
2 X 8800 GTX
1000W PSU
Raptor X 150 GB
Windows XP Pro 32-Bit

Setup all fine. Runs BF2 fine. Crysis runs stunningly for few mins then hangs (sound stuttering for 1 sec), then black screen for 1 sec, then back to frozen frame of game with sound stuttering. No keyboard shortcuts can exit so have to reset with power button. Happens in both SLI and non SLi mode.

Any ideas as to why this may happen? Cooling in case is more than OK.

Cheers
NevyNev

nevynev

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2006
Hello,

Only tested crysis and BF2.
Done 1, will do 2 on tuesday when back in work - do you reckon that'll sort it?
Thanks
NevyNev

I'd try running some stress tests on your system too to make sure nothing is defective (such as memtest for the ram, maybe Prime95 for the CPU; I'm sure others could give you better tests). Unless patch 2 helps, I don't think we have enough info to do a good diagnosis.

gwolfman

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2007

I agree with ^^^^^ Load up CoreTemp when you run Prime95 and keep an eye on the CPU temps. Sometimes the heatsinks are finicky and don't install exactly flat on the CPU heat spreader.

nevynev

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2006
Hi,

OK not just a problem in Crysis - it occurs in ntune performance/stress test too.

Temperatures are fine.
With SLI disabled the ntune tests rune for about 5 minutes then the program throws up an error report and closes - not too major.
But with SLI enable the system hangs as soon as I click start test and I have to reboot.

Any ideas then?
Nvidia drivers are upto date.
Cheers
NEvyNev