thedaily10

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2007
Put back your old cpu and see if your computer works, if it starts back up, check your motherboards bios. Make sure you have the right bios to run a Q6600. If you have an older bios, you will need to flash the motherboards bios with the latest bios.

Someone else asked this question several days ago before they bought an off the shelf Dell PC. They wanted to save money and upgrade the processor later. The general concensus of the forum was that it would not work. If the system didn't have a quad core from the start, there is likely no support built into the motherboard or the BIOS for it.

halcyon

Splendid
I would never have thought Dell's systems to be so open that you could simply move from a dual-core to a quad-core. They use propriety bios and I'd not be surpised if they locked them in some Dell way to prevent such a switch. Have folks had success doing this in the past?

halcyon

Splendid

I'm not knocking Dell. I have a Dell XPS 600 and I like it for what it was, its my wife (about to be former) system. Dell regularly offers bios updates, but I don't think they intend for you to be swapping out processors on their systems. ...that would be a support and warranty nightmare for them.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Step 1: douse with gasoline
Step 2: stand back
Step 3: light match
Step 4: give crooked, maniacial smile

Step 5-100: fight back, buy parts, build your own! THAT is the only way to ensure you get what you want from a PC.

Aragorn

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2005
I have upgraded Dells before, sometimes it just wont work. Maybe the don't have enough phases in the voltage regulator that goes into the Dual (or fewer) core systems to get the quad going. Maybe the motherboard the system came with doesn't supply enough power to the CPU. Maybe its just not supported or it's locked out.

I now only buy Laptops from Dell. I build all my families desktops.