Sign in with
Your question

Can I read data off old ide and sata hard drives w/operating systems

Last response: in Storage
May 7, 2009 6:54:27 AM

I just built an Asus P6T i7 Vista 64 pc that has six sata ports and one ide port on the motherboard. It's built as of yesterday and running great. It has a single 1TB Samsung SATA hard drive in it right now.

I have several old hard drives which were in previous builds I did. Each has it's own operating system.

Is there any way to retrieve the data from these drives by plugging them internally into my new pc?

For example, one is an older 300Gb Western Digital Cavier SATA drive with Windows 2000 on it. Can I connect it to one of the extra sata ports, boot up, and have Vista recognize it as a secondary drive and not try to run Windows 2000? Do I have to set it as a slave? If so, do it do it from bios or from the back of the hard drive?

The rest are ide drives with either Windows 2000 or Windows 98 on them.

Please help. Thanks

a b G Storage
May 7, 2009 7:14:03 AM

Yes. Your boot device is already selected in the BIOS. Just turn off the computer, connect data and power cables to the drive, boot, and transfer data.
May 7, 2009 5:46:15 PM

Well, you should plug the SATA drive you want to boot from into SATA I on your motherboard. As for IDE drives depending on your BIOS it may try to boot them up first. Make sure that after you connect them, as soon as you boot enter the BIOS screen to make sure that your 1TB drive is the first hard drive in the boot sequence.
!