Quad Core DDR3 vs Dual Quad Core DDR2

I am looking into a very high end gaming system. $ not really an issue. The Intel Skulltrail D5400XS motherboard allows for 2 quadcore qx9775 processors but with DDR2 Memory. The motherboards that allow for the faster DDR3 memory only allow for one quadcore processor. Is it better to have dual processors and ddr2 or 1 quadcore processor and ddr3? Or am I wrong and is there a motherboard that allows both? Don't know a lot about this stuff.
12 answers Last reply
More about quad core ddr3 dual quad core ddr2
  1. Is this a troll thread? Nobody in their right mind would invest that kind of money into a computer now with a new socket coming in 6 months. $1000-$1200 I can see, but not that much.
  2. Like i said i don't know much. What is coming out in 6 months?
  3. Nehalem. Intesl next Gen chip with a IMC and QPI. It will scale from 2 to 8 cores. Basicall a qaud core will have SMT (the new HT) so it will have 4 physical cores and 4 virtual cores. Also it will have triple channel DDR3 for the nicer mobos.
  4. Cool. Thanks. Glad I asked.
  5. BD - Don't waste your money on a multi-processor board.

- For a gaming rig, you are best off with a single, reasonably fast processor, and then sinking the money into Video.

- DDR3 is still very expensive, and only outperforms DDR2 at the highest clock speeds - This will change over the next year. But at today's price/performance, good DDR2 still rules the roost.

- Intel is testing and planning to release a new processor/chipset/socket combination for late 2008/early 2009. Existing mobos/procs won't be compatible. I know it's a Wiki, and therefore open to debate, but: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nehalem_(CPU_architecture)
  6. (if you dont understand the abbreviations IMC, QPI, SMT, HT, or possibly triple channel DDR3 - its really really fast :p)
  7. I know this thread didn't start about video but that does bring a question. Several of the systems I have looked at have either went the Radeon 3870 quad GPU route or the 2x SLI GeForce 9800 GX2 route. Have tried to read about them but as I'm sure you can tell from my earlier posts I don't know a lot about this stuff. Is there a big difference between the options or is it just a preference? I want to be able to play FPS like F.E.A.R. maxed out as well as RPG type stuff.
  8. spuddyt,

Thanks :) Been reading as much as I can. Hard to get into this stuff but got to start somewhere.
  9. Intel is working on a new type of socket for their Nehalem CPUs. If you buy a LGA775 motherboard now you won't be able to replace the CPUs on it with the new versions.

If this is a gaming system and money is no object, get an eVGA 780i motherboard, a single QX9650, overclocked to the max, 8 MB of DDR2-1066, and 3 8800GTX cards.
  10. Ok now that this is a real thread, my appologies... it was just hard to believe. There are some good websites out there where you can custom select components and they will build the computer and ship it to your door, with a warranty provided by them.

This site is expensive but a contractor at work swears by them (he enjoys silent computers for some reason)

http://www.endpcnoise.com/cgi-bin/e/quietpc.html
  11. boonality,

no worries. I know it can be annoying when people like me get on who don't know much. I have been using those type sites to try and learn as much as I can. avadirect has a site that is pretty crazy with the options. Like 256 gb solid state drives (up to 4 at $8k a piece). I have been to probably 10 and that is how i saw that some did the multiple quadcores and others did the 1 with the ddr3. But in reading about what is on its way both in video card and socket, I am probably going to hold tight for a bit. Don't like changing stuff much so want to drop some $ and get something that is going to allow me to play the best for quite some time (or at least several year). :)

Thanks for the help.
  12. OK cool, i wish i had that sort of money (spare any?)

here what i would just a e9300 + p35 MB + 2Gb DDR2 Now. you can buy you GPU now to you said a 9800GX niiiiiiiiiccccccccccceeeeeeeeeeee. (jelous) (if you waqnt Sli youy need a 780i Chipset really)

then when the socket come along in 6-10months+you havent lost allot. but dont blow your money on a skulltrail system right now.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs DDR2 DDR3 Quad Core Processors Motherboards Product