Sign in with
Your question

extreme striker or my p35 ds3r mobo...(56k beware!)

Last response: in Systems

which motherboard should i use for my stuff

Total: 3 votes (1 blank vote)

• extreme striker
  • 50 %
  • p35-ds3r
  • 50 %
March 21, 2008 6:00:56 PM

well i have both motherboards... currently i am using extreme striker with the following:

4x1gb ballistx tracer
4x1 500gb maxtors ( raid 5 array)
2x1 320gb seagates ( raid 0 array)
8800gts 640mb
intel q6600 ( 2.4 ghz stock because the board is horrible at ocing so i gave up)
that thermalright heatsink...

i have a p190 case and a p180 case. currently my p180 case is being used by another computer in my house.

my p190 case however isn't being used because my pc is currently caseless.. yes.. i have a p190 case that is not being used at all... the only thing that is being used is the two power supplies that came with it.

i also have 2x1 320gb seagates left over from this build and i would like to do something with them....

what i like about this: it allows me to change anything quickly because it isn't in a case. note: i can't cloase my case if i were to place everything into the case because the heat sink is too big! ( thermalright ( best hsf ) )

what i hate about this:
1. stupid extreme striker doesn't have 2 more sata raid ports so i could use it for my other 2x1 320gb sata drives
2. it doesnt use my p190 case!
3. raid 5 in vista 64 is slow compared to the raid 5 i used with p35- ds3r
4.copies files from raid 0 to raid 5 ( 500gb ) takes 2 days straight! ( write speed is 4MB\sec) while copying raid 0 to raid 5 with ds3r only takes a half a day or less.
5. can't over clock as much as the p35-ds3r since i have a q6600
6. stupid motherboard doesn't have raid 10... it has raid 0+1 which made me use raid 5 in the first place. for the people who know the difference between raid 10 and raid 01, its a BIG difference.

pictures here:

here they are!

other option is to use my p35-ds3r which has been sitting in my closet for a while and gaining dust just like my p190 case :( .

the reasons why i like this is:
1. it has 8 sata ports in all which fits perfectly for 4x1 500gb raid 5 drives and 4x1 320gb raid 0 drives. then all i would have to do is use my pci sata card that i used for my 360 mod for my sata dvd burner.
2. oc'd to my magical 3.2ghz ( then stopped because i got lazy)
3. i remember when i copied files from my raid 0 to my raid 5 it didn't take as much time as it does with the extreme striker.
4. motherboard has raid 10! the very cool raid that better than raid 0 in fault tolerance and better than raid 1 in the speed department and better than raid 5 in rebuild performance. ( never took me over a few hours while it took a half a day for raid 5 or longer if i wanted to get something off of the raid 5 drive)

the reasons why i hate this is:
1. that i can't run this without a case unlike my extreme striker with the power/reset/cmos reset buttons...
2. annoying to go into the case and change something when ocing or taking a dead drive out..

now i need your guys help if you could help me fix these problems. the motherboard i don't need will be sold to whoever wants it. since its used ill lower the price a bit.
March 21, 2008 7:26:32 PM

Lol, I’ed probably separate the two arrays, one pc into a file server and one I played on.
March 21, 2008 7:34:16 PM

marzzes said:
Lol, I’ed probably separate the two arrays, one pc into a file server and one I played on.

i wish i could but i dont have enough parts to make a file server and a gaming pc :( 
Related resources
March 21, 2008 8:03:33 PM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...

Showed your form to a few co-workers, no offence but we all got a kick out of it, mainly because our own Pc’s have the side panel out and components on top of our cases.
What about an SATA controller card, do you have an extra slot?
March 21, 2008 8:28:42 PM

marzzes said:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...

Showed your form to a few co-workers, no offence but we all got a kick out of it, mainly because our own Pc%u2019s have the side panel out and components on top of our cases.
What about an SATA controller card, do you have an extra slot?

interesting! i wanna see a picture if you have any :) .

yep, i got 2 pci slots. but what would i do with the sata card?
March 21, 2008 9:43:37 PM

Not sure what your question is, the difference in chipsets on the motherboards (p35 verses Nvidia 680i) or how the hell your going to fit all that in your case.
Have had bad experiences with Nvidia chipsets (frying Hdd’s, having to boot three to for times for it to recognize hardware, random re-boots, can fry an egg on my pc, ect.) so am a little partial to Intel when it comes to chipsets; the only thing is that all Intel chips are all Crossfire L but if your only using one vidio card your set.
March 22, 2008 12:08:07 AM

marzzes said:
Not sure what your question is, the difference in chipsets on the motherboards (p35 verses Nvidia 680i) or how the hell your going to fit all that in your case.
Have had bad experiences with Nvidia chipsets (frying Hdd’s, having to boot three to for times for it to recognize hardware, random re-boots, can fry an egg on my pc, ect.) so am a little partial to Intel when it comes to chipsets; the only thing is that all Intel chips are all Crossfire L but if your only using one vidio card your set.

whats the point of me buying a sata card?

i know i could fit it in my p190 case but it wont close because of the big cooler.

my overall question is which motherboard should i use?
March 22, 2008 12:24:37 AM

Which p35 mobo do you have & are you going to use duel vidio cards, if so which: Nvidia (SLI) or ATI (Crossfire)?
March 22, 2008 12:55:13 AM

If I had to choose between chipsets, I would go with the p35 because I cant afford to lose data and don’t have time/patients to fix glitches.
My opinion is based on my personal loss of data and time when it comes to Nvidia motherboard chipsets, but I have friends that love there boards due to SLI. When it comes to work (storing data, data transfer, ect.) Intel is the way to go, when it comes to play (games) Nvidia seems to have the market.
March 22, 2008 1:09:13 AM

marzzes said:
Which p35 mobo do you have & are you going to use duel vidio cards, if so which: Nvidia (SLI) or ATI (Crossfire)?

p35 ds3r gigabyte mobo

im not going to use dual video cards for a long time.... at least 2-3 years...
March 22, 2008 1:12:28 AM

marzzes said:
If I had to choose between chipsets, I would go with the p35 because I cant afford to lose data and don’t have time/patients to fix glitches.
My opinion is based on my personal loss of data and time when it comes to Nvidia motherboard chipsets, but I have friends that love there boards due to SLI. When it comes to work (storing data, data transfer, ect.) Intel is the way to go, when it comes to play (games) Nvidia seems to have the market.

yeah , my priorities are same as yours ( or close to yours).

1.data ( p35)
2.over clocking ( p35)
3. games ( p35 or striker)
4. sli ( striker)

!