Portable DVB-T +HDTV

Last response: in Home Theatre
July 18, 2005 11:17:44 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv,alt.video.digital-tv (More info?)

And guess what these DVB-T receiver/STB/portable displays will work
mobile as well. Hook up to your HD at home or take with you on the road.

http://www.artec.com.tw/ehtm/be111.htm

Also...
"Supposedly Archos is teaming up with EchoStar on the AV700, a new
portable video player with a 7-inch LCD screen that’ll let you copy over
TV shows or movies that are stored on your DVR-enabled DISH Network
satellite receiver so you can take them with you when you leave the
house. Nah, it doesn’t have a satellite TV tuner built-in, but Archos is
promising to have a PVP with a DVB-T tuner sometime before the end of
the year (not that it does us much good in the States, since we use a
different standard for terrestrial digital TV over here). Even so, it’s
a smart move for EchoStar, who are obviously trying to do whatever it
takes to catch up with archrival DirecTV. We’re resigned to the fact
that there will probably be loads of DRM involved, but there’s really no
reason why every satellite or cable TV provider couldn’t make it easy
for people to copy shows off their DVRs and onto portable devices; it’d
only make what they’re offering more attractive and more valuable to
their subscribers."

Also...

http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000313029391/

VerMedia’s DVB-T USB 2.0 HDTV tuner

Posted Feb 1, 2005, 4:32 AM ET by Donald Melanson
Related entries: Home Entertainment, Peripherals

AverMedia’s just launched their first USB HDTV tuner (though it’s
definitely not the first), the AVerTV DVB-T USB 2.0. The tuner lets you
watch so-called “free-to-air” DVB digital terrestrial television
channels, assuming there are actually any in your area (sorry, North
America!). It also comes with other features you’d expect from a TV
tuner, including time shifting and an electronic program guide. And if
you want to use it with your laptop to watch TV in the countryside it
also comes with TV aerial, just don’t expect the best reception. Retail
price is £69.99.

Also...
http://www.engadget.com/entry/3733063528662618/

"Won’t do you much good if don’t live in Europe or parts of Asia, but
ADS Tech has come out with the Instant TV DVB-T USB, an external USB TV
tuner for receiving (and recording) high-def DVB-T digital TV broadcasts
on your PC. And just to rub it in, in Europe you can record digital TV
to your PC because they don’t have the friggin’ Broadcast Flag over there."

The world is going to be flooded with DTV HDTV DVB-T receivers that are
inexpensive. In the US we may be stuck with DVB-H for cell phones.

Bob Miller

More about : portable dvb hdtv

Anonymous
July 19, 2005 4:02:52 AM

In article <sfTCe.9552$8f7.3043@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net>, Bob Miller <robmx@earthlink.net> wrote:
>And guess what these DVB-T receiver/STB/portable displays will work
>mobile as well. Hook up to your HD at home or take with you on the road.
>
>http://www.artec.com.tw/ehtm/be111.htm
>
>Also...
>"Supposedly Archos is teaming up with EchoStar on the AV700, a new
>portable video player with a 7-inch LCD screen that’ll let you copy over
>TV shows or movies that are stored on your DVR-enabled DISH Network
>satellite receiver so you can take them with you when you leave the
>house. Nah, it doesn’t have a satellite TV tuner built-in, but Archos is
>promising to have a PVP with a DVB-T tuner sometime before the end of
>the year (not that it does us much good in the States, since we use a
>different standard for terrestrial digital TV over here). Even so, it’s
>a smart move for EchoStar, who are obviously trying to do whatever it
>takes to catch up with archrival DirecTV. We’re resigned to the fact
>that there will probably be loads of DRM involved, but there’s really no
>reason why every satellite or cable TV provider couldn’t make it easy
>for people to copy shows off their DVRs and onto portable devices; it’d
>only make what they’re offering more attractive and more valuable to
>their subscribers."
>
>Also...
>
>http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000313029391/
>
>VerMedia’s DVB-T USB 2.0 HDTV tuner

You know Bob, I don't understand why you and others make such a big deal about
mobile TV. When I go somewhere, I usually have a reason to get out of the
house , none of which is to watch TV . The whole reason to go somewhere is to
GO SOMEWHERE and do something other than sitting on ones fat ass.
!