Input Voltage 115/ 230 V
Input Frequency Range 50/60 Hz
Input Current 12A/ 6A
Output +3.3@30A,+5V@55A,+12V1@19A,+12V2@19A,-12V@1A,+5V SB@2.5A
MTBF 100k hours at 25°C, max. load, nominal input

jevon

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2004
600W is more than enough for that system, however I would buy a better brand. The PSU is your most important purchase for a system; skimping out on a lower quality brand can lead to lost components or entire systems o_O

Antec Earthwatts in the 500W-550W range are decently priced and would do the job, as would the Corsair 520W.

You didn't mention your motherboard so I'm not sure if you plan on going SLI at some point, or if you plan to heavily OC that Q6600 (12v rail for this plus vid cards), then you should look at units in the 600W+ range from PC Power & Cooling, Corsair, Antec.

Good luck!

maniac_mat

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2008
so an Antec Earthwatts 500w psu would be better then the rosewill 600w one? my mobo isnt an sli mobo so im not worrying about that.

bobwya

May 21, 2005
Hi

You could use the Rosewill and it will be enough for a few weeks... Until it takes out that CPU or RAM or blows up... :pt1cable:

Corsair is your best bet in the US I believe (price wise)... The 8800 GTS is not that power hungry... Non-SLI you could get away with a Tier 2 400 Watt PSU as long as the 12V rail gets most of that power:
http://www.extreme.outervision.com/psucalculator.jsp
Not very future proof but will be cheap(er)...

Your GPU choice (very good choice!!) only takes 86 Watts BTW.

Bob

cletus_slackjawd

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2006
I have the 600Watt Rosewill powersupply
Here is what i've been running with it for the last 2 years without a problem

S939 Athlon 4000+
2 Gig OCZ Dual Channel
2ea Evga 7600GT KO (SLI)
2ea DVD Burners
1ea IDE Zip Drive
1ea Floppy
2ea 120mm Case Fans
1ea HSF
4ea HDDs (2 IDE 2 SATA)
-4 active USB ports (mouse, KB, Joystick, Ext HDD)

I have had no problems at all with this Power Supply.
My conclusion is people who don't own the product like to give their opinions.
However, I've noticed that in this forum, you will mostly find people who tell you everything is junk and just the top brand will work. Did you know the newest Hewlett Packards at Best Buy come with Core 2 Duos have Hi-Pro 250watt powersupplies? I guarantee you your 600Watt will be enough. You can always add one of those Video power supply add on things if you decide to run a super demanding gaming card.

bobwya

May 21, 2005

No you've just been lucky so far!! Don't get other people to gamble with their expensive equipment... I have seen a cheap PSU blow up and take out a RAM stick in the process. Thankfully it was a system with cheap gear in it (the RAM was under a UK warranty). I also have cheap motherboard that starts giving memory errors when it's hooked up to a generic PSU and doesn't with a low wattage Enermax Flex-PSU.

2x SLI 7600GT's still draw 20Watts less than a 8800GTS. They also cost a hell of lot less in todays market!! Your system is due an upgrade so it doesn't matter if it blows up - maniac_mat has a current system and wouldn't be so happy!! So don't try and compare systems. :pt1cable:

Cheap PSU's will degrade year on year (well more significantly than a better build PSU anyway). The total wattage capacity will be reduced as it become less efficient... They are also generally not specified to deliver anywhere near the maximum wattage at 50C. What is the real wattage of your PSU - i.e. the wattage/amps on the 12V rail?

IMHO you will develop problems with that PSU eventually... Just give it another year or two!!

Bob

reconviperone1

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2006
I used a rosewill 600 watt for 2 years, but i guess i was lucky from what I understand, personally im not big on antec because i had 3 bad experiances with them, so Id go with thermaltake,corsair, or if you want it cheaper coolermaster.

maniac_mat

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2008
well i decided im not going to mess around. im going with a corsar 650w. its more money but i think it will be worth it. the one 12v+ rail at 52a sounds good. and 80+ efficiancy at full load.

ComputerCustomizer

Distinguished
May 23, 2007

Much better choice. Rosewill power supplies are Tier 5 on the XS Tiered PSU List, while Corsair PSUs are Tier 2.

dobby

Distinguished
May 24, 2006
it seems as though you haev made a wise decisoin, not going with the generic brand PSU.

people always seem to skimp on the PSU and Case, this is really because you wont notice a idffrenece in speed with a Cheap or Expensiver PSU, however one is less likely to Rape your system adn take the RAM and GPU with it.

cletus_slackjawd

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2006
I do respect others opinions here but I would like to point out other hypocrisies. The same people warning you of the risks of using a generic (in this case I prefer to use the word economic) power supply will sing the virtues of overclocking and water cooling. Arguably (but in my opinion) much risky than buying an economy PSU. BTW, capacitors, chips, voltage regulator fail. Doesn't matter the brand, expensive or cheap. I work on HVAC equipment, trane, carrier, york, etc. If a parts going to fail, it doesn't care what brand name is attached to it's chassis.

Mugz

Splendid
Oct 27, 2006
@cletus

I used to have that philosophy, until I noticed that the more expensive 'brand-name' electronics that I was using...

[insert] Bear in mind that I work in the industrial electronic engineering field, plus I have spent most of my life playing around with electronics and electronic devices. [/insert]

...had a tendency to last far longer and fail far less frequently than the 'economy' parts.

Unfortunately for this discussion, I'm one of those people singing the virtues of watercooling and overclocking. Get this, though - the failure rate on my heavily overclocked and watercooled system is far lower than on my flatmate's aircooled, non-overclocked bargain-basement rig - which goes through one 'economy' brand PSU about once a month and one 'economy' brand UPS every now and again.

So far, in the year and a half I've been watercooling I had to replace one (1) PSU, due to a power spike that killed my UPS as well. Friendly flatmate had to replace his entire PC due to that same power spike. UPS and all.

So, yeah - 'economy' brand components DO cost more in the long run.

cletus_slackjawd

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2006
cool, I agree brother. I don't think anyone wants to buy economy its that the funds sometimes run out when building a system and shortcuts are made. Especially when newegg offers a combo deal with the hardware you purchase. Thanks for your post.