Sign in with
Your question

Start up/Shut down--Help!

Last response: in Windows XP
August 2, 2010 12:01:09 AM

Hello,
I just updated to Norton Antivirus 2010 today (from 2009) and now when I start my computer it shuts down immediately, right after the login/password screen. I don't get the start-up music, or anything else. It goes right into the close-down music and shuts down. Can't find any help on Microsoft Website, and I doubt Symantec would help. Any ideas?

More about : start shut

August 2, 2010 1:58:18 AM

Tap F8 on startup, and try booting into safe mode.
August 2, 2010 3:59:19 PM

Yes, tried booting into safe mode, and tried using last known good configuration. It still opens and shuts down right away. I can get into non-Windows mode, but I'm not sure what I'm doing when I get there. And, not sure if I can do anything from there anyway.
Related resources
August 2, 2010 4:34:19 PM

What do you mean by 'non-windows mode'? Can you describe it, or how you got into it?
August 3, 2010 6:36:24 PM

Well, after looking at it again, I guess it's technically Windows. Can't remember what I clicked on to get there (I'm not where that computer is right now). It looks like the old DOS screens - black screen with something like c:/Windows> as the last line it posted. Up above that there is a paragraph that tells me I can type exit to get out of the screen.
August 3, 2010 6:38:05 PM

Oh, I should have mentioned I got into this screen/mode from the F8 menu.
August 3, 2010 6:47:50 PM

That sounds like 'safe mode with command prompt.' That will do nicely. At that C: prompt, type:
%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe
That will open the system restore points. Choose a date on that calender that's before the problem started.
August 4, 2010 2:00:26 AM

It said "the command is not recognized. Type HELP for a list of supported commands." So, I looked at the list--quite long. systemroot is on the list. I even tried typing the line without the % on either side... Any other suggestions?
August 4, 2010 3:44:50 AM

Yes, my screen looks like the inset screen you posted. However, I did type it exactly as you gave it to me--and I tried it several times--no spaces, exactly the same. I will try it again... but I'm not holding my breath.
August 4, 2010 4:05:43 AM

Do you have an XP disc?
August 4, 2010 1:05:04 PM

yes, I'll try that next. thx.
August 5, 2010 3:18:24 PM

Up and running again. Didn't lose too many settings (that I know of, so far) except for having to reload printer drivers and update a few things that had an older version with my XP disc. Thanks for your suggestions and help.
August 5, 2010 3:43:50 PM

Yep, all your personal data and programs should be uneffected. The repair should just touch system files.

Good to hear. Thanks for the update.
!