CPU hot Q6600 Help!!!

PaxeSalute

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2008
Hello everyone,

I've got this Q6600 with high temp.
I just finish to build my new rig, I use Manhanttan Thermal Grease (the only one I could purchase here in Mexico Cancun), Clean the original Thermal Pad with Alcohol 75%proof , put a fairly amount of Grease.

To give you an idea

Ambient temp , here in Mexico goes in my home from 22 to 27 at this time of the year and it is not summer yet. (Fahrenheit 72 to 81)

I used CoreTemp, SpeedFan and HW monitor, and all read the same following temps (in celsius) so can be a mistake from one of these program. I haven't install TAT because I was scare to have worth result.

BIOS temp when PC started
CPU Temp = 35
MB Temp = 28
CPU Fan Speed = 2008 rpm
CPU Voltage = 1.192v sometimes move to 1.20v
3.3v Voltage = 3.280v
5v Voltage = 5.064v
12v Voltage = 11.928v

When Core are 2% used or less
Sys temp: 36
CPU temp : 36
Core 0 : 51
Core 1 : 51
Core 2 : 49
Core 3 : 46

CPU Fan : 2557 RPM

When Playing COD4 CPU 20 to 25% used
Core 0 : 62
Core 1 : 61
Core 2 : 60
Core 3 : 59

CPU Fan : 2616 RPM

When using Prime 95 CPU 100% used it goes
Sys temp: 44
CPU temp : 57
Core 0 : 72 to 75
Core 1 : 71 to 73
Core 2 : 71 to 73
Core 3 : 68 to 69

As you see very high and I've never OC, I wanted to this is why I started to check Temp, but with this result no way to even try to push the CPU

FANS please see the FAN Position.

http://cid-3109270b7857191b.spaces.live.com/photos/cns!3109270B7857191B!113/

Before installing Temp Monitor application I had
HSF Fan : Original from Intel Plugged to dedicated MoBo plug.
Back Panel : 14cm Fan blowing air out of the case (let's Call it [b]BP FAN OUT[/b]) Plugged to PSU 12v
PSU Fan blowing out (let's Call it [b]PSU FAN OUT[/b])
Side Panel 8cm Fan blowing out (let's Call it [b]SIDE FAN OUT[/b])

I first add in front panel at the same high as the back panel 14cm Fan a 8cm Old Fan blowing IN plugged to MoBo. (note that this one has direct open access to external air) Lets call it [b]FAN IN 1.[/b]

First I check Temp without Prime95 on had the 2 first read I put above
So I decides to put more fan, I replaced [b]FAN IN 1[/b] for another one same size but blowing more air IN and Plugged directly to PSU.
add another one in front of HDD blowing IN (lets call it [b]FAN IN 2[/b]) but with this 2 changes my Temp raise 2 degre up on idle temp (2% CPU used).
Could I have a conflict with air flow?
I realize that I feel much more air flowing with [b]FAN IN 1[/b] Than [b]BP 14cm Fan OUT[/b] and [b]PSU Fan OUT[/b].
[b]SIDE FAN OUT[/b] is blowing as strong as the ones I added [b]FANS IN 1[/b] , FAN IN 2 doesn't do much air since it is with no open space to outside air and has the HDD block on its other side.

I read that could be Voltage at Core could be High since I have it on AUTO in BIOS

with the different Temp monitor application I've got this:

VID 1.25 (stays all the time like this, just blinking and I do not know whats VID means since on BIOS there is no such name.

CPU-Z : gave me some variances in Core Voltage during the time I'm using it even with Prime95
Core V goes 1.112v > 1.120v > 1.136v > 1.192v > 1.168v

So I do not think it is a Heat problem for to much juice to CPU, Q6600 is mention needing 1.15v

Now I have a stupid question but I'm considering me a Noob so do not laugh.
The Fan of HSF should blow to the CPU or drag the air from the CPU blowing OUT.
Mine does blow to the CPU but I do not feel much air going out on the sides of it.

I though since the main objetive of the Side Panel extra Fan was to get out of the case the hight temp of the CPU I do not see the logical to have HSF blowing to the CPU instead of Dragging up the heat.

Is this possible that a 14cm FAN and PSU Fan move less air than a generical 8cm Fan?

I know that mostly of you will respond, change the Intel HSF for a good one and use Arctic Silver 5, unfortunatly here you cannot find one single PC Shop that sale other than generic and poor performance HSF or manage AS5.

As you could read, if you had the patience to read all of this information and I am already gratefull for that,
I'm maybe really confused with Temp and Air flow. SO I REALLY NEED HELP!!!

dagger

Splendid
Mar 23, 2008
That cpu cooler is too weak. You need an aftermarket cooler with heatsink about 5-6 times that size, ideally with side mounting fan aimed at the case fan to directly expell hot air against it. The ambient temp inside your case is probably too high, since your graphics card cooling heats up the air inside your case instead of expelling hot air outside.

PaxeSalute

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2008
Thks Dagger,

My Video Card do not have Cooler FAN only Pipe. So I shall find a way to Expell the Air arround them, I can still add one fan out under the already existing Side Panel Fan AIR OUT that face CPU, even so the first card will block the air flow.

About the HSf as I mentioned here I cannot find any better model or brand overhere, should I try to adapt on one side of actual HS some Expell OUT Air Fan (preferently on Back Side), and put on the other opposite side another IN AIR Fan. to reenforze air flow inside HS?

Now is it correct that the HS Fan is blowing to the CPU and not expelling up the Hot air area.

Thks for your reply

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
Your temps are still too high with the stock cooler. I would check the mounting again. As you probably already know, the push pins are notorious for not seating fully.

PaxeSalute

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2008
Thks Zorg,

Actually I mounted the CPU & HS with the MoBo out of the Box and reposing on a Styrofoam board to make sure that the Push Pins will go all the way. but I was thinking maybe to do Lapping but I do not have much time and knowledge for that.

dagger

Splendid
Mar 23, 2008

Don't bother lapping. It's still questionable just how much it helps. Besides, heat conduction isn't the problem here. That cooler just can't dissipate the heat. Low mass/heat capacity, low surface area, low airflow.

PaxeSalute

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2008
Thks again Dagger,
So do you thing my proposal of putting 1 fan on each side of HS will help, of course one blowing in and the other expelling air

dagger

Splendid
Mar 23, 2008

Not sure. That heatsink is tiny. It just seems like a lot of effort that may end up not helping much. You should really buy an aftermarket cooler. There's got to be somewhere you can get one.

PaxeSalute

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2008
About the Aftermarket HS only if I travel to US I will have a chance to get some in Fry's or somewhere else.

I could ask a friend to buy for me and send it but I read that aftermarket HS do not come with Fans so I do not know which one could be best for the HS I could pick.

My friend in Miami has no knowledge of PC so I shall make sure to choose HS Model, Brand and add-on FAN to pass him exact Ref Number and where to buy either through Internet or Shop.

What will you recommend? I could spend another 100 usd , this PC already cost me a lot for my budget

But should'nt Intel sale included HSF that works well for their CPU????

htoonthura

Distinguished
May 21, 2006

Reseat your cpu stock fan. If you are not overclocking, the stock fan can handle the heat with ease. I oc mine to 2.8 with stock fan and the temp never goes over 65 even under prime test. So, your fan installation or thermal compound is wrong. Use Artic silver 5 and reseat the fan.

Get a decent aftermarket cooler - yes, most draw air from the top and blow it down onto the base of the block on top of the CPU.

I think the grease you have is silicon based - not as good as the AS5 or other silver oxide based interface material ... heat transfer is not so good.

Once Summer hits you will need better cooling Pax.

The side case fan should be drawing air in ... to feed the cpu cooler.

The rear 12 cm case fan on the Ninja should be pulling the air out of the back of the case.

The 12cm fan should shift a higher volume of air than the 8 cm fans ...

You could cut away all of the metal in the centre of the rear case fan to improve the airflow considerably.

Good luck.

PaxeSalute

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2008
Htoonthura

As I wrote in first post, I do not have access to Artic Silver 5, only if I travel to US which is not in my plan for this year.

htoonthura

Distinguished
May 21, 2006

I am sure you can buy it online and have it shipped to you. In the meantime, i suggest reseating your cpu cooler with whatever thermal compound you have. Apply it evenly. Do not apply it too thick. Make sure the stock cooler is properly seated and locked.

Also, make sure you set the cpu to run at full speed at all times. Sometimes, cpu fan does not kicks in unless it meets certain conditions. You do not need a third party cooler to run at the stock speed.

Hope it helps.

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
Man.. seems you have allot against ya. What I mean about that is, you have warm ambient temps conditions (Mexico), looks like a cramped CPU case (from the link in your 1st post), with the stock HSF that just won't do well.

Keeping that cool isn't going to be easy with hot Mexican air, since it isn't summer yet. :sweat:

I'd recommend in doing some research in water cooling, or peltier type of cooling, that you could get in your area.

Pelter type:

Ultra ChillTec Thermo Electric CPU Cooler

Also try to get allot of airflow if you stick with air cooling. Your front intake kinda bothers me. If you have 3 5 1/2 bays, wonder if this could help:

Thermaltake A2309 iCage 5.25in FanCage w/12cm Fan Retail

Looks like you have total of 5 bays, so 3 of those bays you could use that icage fan perhaps to get air more directly.

This is your case?

11-156-177-23.jpg

11-156-177-17.jpg

Never did like those HD holders like that in the front intake.

Edit:

Heh.. ya, you'd need to take the front bay cover off.. on that idea.

Insufficient airflow on those - very similar to the V1000 and onwards Thermaltake's (Zaser Etc).

I machined the back grills right out (I have the smaller fans ulike this one with the single 120) to inprove the ariflow and did the same at the front at the bottom.

You need air to travel over the HDD's and (mixed with the cool air coming in from the side) and out the rear of the case.

It's actually a pretty poor design fault of the entire series.

Designed by a bling arketing person and not an engineer.

Neon lights draw moths ... I removed mine ... gave them away to some other retard.

Because the rail kit for the HDD's also insulate them from the rails you get no additional heatsink value from the case for the drives and they heat up ... end up dying earlier.

Plus the doors on most of the Thermaltakes are a poor fit and the hinge design causes an annoying vibration.

The PSU is good quality and their fans are also robust.

The case looks good but beneath the bling value (like most) is a case not designed for gaming.

RIP Themaltake.

PaxeSalute

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2008
Hey Thank to all of you for your time and recommendations, I really appreciate it. Great People on this Forum.

I will start reversing my side panel Fan, actually it's taking air out of the case, Thks Reynod for noticing that. I had already remove the Side panel Led Fan for a generic one because cable melted connection were very poor.

[Quote: Reynod The PSU is good quality and their fans are also robust].
With this PSU I've got; how many fan could I connect to be safe that will be enough juice to alimentate them?

[Quote: Reynod Because the rail kit for the HDD's also insulate them from the rails you get no additional heatsink value from the case for the drives and they heat up ... end up dying earlier].
I will try to remove the extra black HDD Holders (the one I do not use) on the HDD Rack to have more holes for Air flow inside.

[Quote:Htoonthura
Also, make sure you set the cpu to run at full speed at all times. Sometimes, cpu fan does not kicks in unless it meets certain conditions.]

How do I make sure of that?

[Quote: Grimmy Heh.. ya, you'd need to take the front bay cover off.. on that idea].
Yes I always keep the front panel door open when I use the PC

[Quote: Grimmy Pelter type:
Ultra ChillTec Thermo Electric CPU Cooler]

I googled and read some good and bad thing about this one, and it looks that it is hard to find in stock, the worst thing a read is that it generate a huge in case heat that can short the life of the other devices.
Which other Cooling system (no water cooling) could you recommend and if possible not expensive as the ChillTec and easier to find? If you recommend an HS with no Fan included please also recommend a compatible and effective Fan. (I know I ask a lot, but I am really desapointed from the performance of my purchase and I rely on all of you).

Thks Dagger for the Link to TigerDirect.

Since it does not go over 62 celsius when I using games, and hoping that reversing air flow of Side Panel Fan will help a bit, I will have to wait until I can get some good HS&F and thermal Artic Silver5 in USA, to do mayor changes and maybe OC in the future. I will have to wait then, could you please indicate me which Case Fans are the best (Highest air flow performance CFM, I do not bother about noise) to be able to do some research and be prepared to know where and which to buy online or when I will travel in USA which won't be with a lot of time to do it.

Thks again for your past help and in advance for future recommendations.

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
Since you can buy from tiger I suggest getting a quality CPU HS with a backplate. If you need advice on which one ask or search the forums before you buy.

As far as fan speed set CPU Q-Fan control to disabled and Chassis Q-Fan control to disabled. This should run all fans at max, It will be a little noisy.

Boot with the case cover off and confirm that all the fans are spinning fast, just to be on the safe side.

Mondoman

Splendid
The stock Intel CPU cooler is plenty good enough as long as you are not overclocking; most aftermarket coolers do not perform the secondary cooling of nearby components (e.g. northbridge, PWM area), so stay away from them for now. As mentioned above, I suspect perhaps too much thermal compound was applied. Even though you are not using Arctic Silver 5, read the excellent instructions that they have online for applying compound for a quad-core. This post may also help: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/194385-31-part-assembly#t1184072
Also as others have mentioned, it sounds like you need better airflow *through* your case, to remove hot air, and bring in cooler air. For this, it is important not to run the case open, and to have more fans blowing out (exhaust) than in.
Finally, do not set your CPU to run at full speed at all times -- that will just cause more heat problems.

PaxeSalute

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2008
Thks Zorg and Mondoman for your last posts.

[Quote: Mondoman Finally, do not set your CPU to run at full speed at all times -- that will just cause more heat problems]
How do I do that?

[Quote: Zorg As far as fan speed set CPU Q-Fan control to disabled and Chassis Q-Fan control to disabled]
Yes these 2 options were disabled since I first got in Bios.

Now about good HSF:
Which better considering Q6600 CPU, available space in my RAIDMAX case with the component I already have installed.

Thermalright Ultra 120 with 2 Scythe S-FLEX SFF21F 120mm Case Fan
or
ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro 92mm CPU Cooler
or
Ultra ChillTec Thermo Electric CPU Cooler

I am very concerned about space because I cannot expect a possible RMA if the model I purchase, finally won't fit once I'm back to Mexico.

The ChillTec really interest me, even if it more than doble the price, but I'd like to OC a bit so having already temp problem on normal settings I'rather put some money on the side to buy the best in the market. I do not want Water Cooling since I thing installation is much over my knowledge.

Thks again

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
I thought the fan would spin higher than that, oh well.

Mondoman was saying to not disable the CPU fan speed because it would cause case heat problems, I don't agree. You need to keep the CPU below critical temp at all cost, secondarily but almost as important is to keep the case temp down. They go hand in hand. You need to keep the CPU temp from critical, but to do that you also need to keep the case temp down.

Post a link to your case, I don't want to guess.

PaxeSalute

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2008
Zorg Here it is

First they are picture of my own one
[url]http://cid-3109270b7857191b.spaces.live.com/photos/cns!3109270B7857191B!113/[/url]

Second there are from newgg of my model

[url]http://www.newegg.com/Product/ShowImage.aspx?Image=11-156-177-19.jpg%2c11-156-177-15.jpg%2c11-156-177-20.jpg%2c11-156-177-09.jpg%2c11-156-177-06.jpg%2c11-156-177-07.jpg%2c11-156-177-12.jpg%2c11-156-177-17.jpg%2c11-156-177-18.jpg%2c11-156-177-23.jpg%2c11-156-177-04.jpg%2c11-156-177-21.jpg%2c11-156-177-11.jpg%2c11-156-177-10.jpg%2c11-156-177-13.jpg%2c11-156-177-14.jpg&S7ImageFlag=0&WaterMark=1&Item=N82E16811156177&Depa=0&Description=RAIDMAX+Ninja+ATX-918WBP+Black+Computer+Case+With+Side+Panel+Window[/url]
Thks

Mondoman

Splendid

No, I was just advocating ignoring this suggestion by htoonthura:
Also, make sure you set the cpu to run at full speed at all times.
which I interpreted as saying to inactivate Intel SpeedStep etc.