Sign in with
Your question

Striker Extreme crapped out, need affordable replacement.

Last response: in Motherboards
May 13, 2008 10:48:20 PM

Hello. I bought a semi-high end gaming rig about a year ago from quite possibly the worst company ever.(wont call me back, wont respond to email) So my 3-year warranty is all but useless. My fan on my CPU cooler crapped out so I brought it in to a local repair shop to have it replaced.

Well, the computer was powered off for about 3 weeks before I got the parts in and the PC techs started working on it. Long story even longer, The board will not POST and I need a new one. I could possible RMA it through ASUS and get a new one but from what I have read online this is a common problem with the striker.

I have decided to buy a different(less expensive) mobo to replace it. Then RMA the striker and sell it as refurbished when I get the new one(2 months from now probably)

I do not need SLI but will need at least one PCI 16x 2.0 slot(do i need 2.0?) for my 8800GTX. Looking for an optical S/PDIf.

I would like to do a mild OC on the CPU and be able to set all the memory timings and most importantly the memory voltage. And maybe a mild OC on the memory as well. I would also like to keep my upgrade options open as far as the processor, memory, and GFX card go.

I am considering several 680i mobos but from what I have been reading, that might not be a good choice for several reasons.(including price)

While specific mobo suggestions are preferred any advice on what chipset(780/790?P35?X38/x48?) to get or what features are important to look for are much appreciated.

I realize I am asking for advice on a good value but I can splurge if I really want/need to. What I mean to say is; It may not be necessary but are there any major benefits to more expensive chips other than OC potential that I should be aware of?

My primary concern is good stable performance with the best possible graphics performance on my 8800.

System Specs:

Dual boot Wix XP pro(32bit) and Vista Prem(64bit)
ASUS Striker Extreme
XFX 8800GTX Extreme
Intel E6850 Core 2 Duo 3.0Ghz
WD Rapter 150GB 10k RPM
Several Data HDD's(not in raid but for sure want to in the future)
Muskin Extreme PC6400 800MHZ DDR2 2x1GB
Thermaltake Toughpower 750W
Thermaltake V1 Heatsink(fan broke, still works but bangs against the copper fins) Replacing with OCZ Vendetta 2.
In a crappy mid-tower right now but is being rebuilt into a Cosmos-S(as soon as i get a working mobo)

I use the PC for heavy gaming, HD video playback, and mild video/photo editing and encoding/transcoding.

<EDIT> to clean up post a bit and add some nfo. (sorry, I ramble :kaola: )
May 13, 2008 11:26:16 PM

P35 is the cheapest replacement, starting at under $100. It will allow moderately good overclocking, but does not support PCIE2.0. PCIE2.0 is not a big advantage at this point, as graphics cards aren't powerful enough to bottleneck the old pcie 1.1 yet.

X38 cost $200, and allow any cpu in existance to oc as high as they would take. It also support PCIE2.0 and full 16x Crossfire.

For your existing components, p35 is best bang for the buck.

P35
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
X38

May 14, 2008 3:03:58 AM

Thank you.

Do I lose anything by going with an intell chip over an nforce?

How does the p35/x38 stack up against a 680i?

From what i have read the only real reason to get an nforce is if you want SLI. But there has to be more to it than that. In my mind at least, it seems that you would have better graphic performance out of an Nvidia card by using an Nvidia chipset. But what the hell do I know, right? :na: 

I realize I am asking for advice on a good value but I can splurge if I really want/need to. Are there any high end mobo recommendations(That aren't plagued with problems like the SE) if I want uber performance, bells and whistles, etc.?

Sorry, I'm having trouble wording this.

What I mean to say is; It may not be necessary but are there any major benefits to more expensive chips other than OC potential that I should be aware of?

My main concern is good stable performance with the best possible graphics performance on my 8800.

LOL, I always intend to make it short and sweet but end up with a damn book.

Related resources
May 14, 2008 3:20:02 AM

The only advantage of Nvidia boards is sli, nothing else. 680i oc horribly, most people do not get more than 2.8ghz on q6600 for it. You can search around the forum for it.

780i cost like x38, overclocks like a p35. X38 is a level above. Nvidia has no chipset that can match x38/48's oc performance at this point.

Graphics cards do not care for motherboard. The 8800 will work the same on x38, you just won't have sli, only crossfire, which 8800 can't use. X38/48 use PCIE2.0, which is good for gpu upgrade down the road.
May 14, 2008 7:37:52 PM

Thanks again. I think I'm going to go with a P35 or x38.

Just out of curiosity what is the benefit of an x48 over an x38?

For that matter what are the key difference between a p35 an and x38?
May 14, 2008 10:34:44 PM

NMD said:
Thanks again. I think I'm going to go with a P35 or x38.

Just out of curiosity what is the benefit of an x48 over an x38?

For that matter what are the key difference between a p35 an and x38?

P35 run at 1333mhz fsb natively, and can oc reliably to 1600. X38/48/p45 runs at 1600mhz fsb natively, and can oc reliably to 2000. X38/48 support crossfire and use PCIE2.0, p35 do not, but is much cheaper.

From what I know, x38 and x48 is pretty much identical from all specs.
May 14, 2008 10:43:14 PM

Excellent advice once again. No offense to dagger but I really wish a few more ppl would chime in on this.
May 29, 2008 8:41:26 AM

dagger said:
P35 is the cheapest replacement, starting at under $100. It will allow moderately good overclocking, but does not support PCIE2.0. PCIE2.0 is not a big advantage at this point, as graphics cards aren't powerful enough to bottleneck the old pcie 1.1 yet.

X38 cost $200, and allow any cpu in existance to oc as high as they would take. It also support PCIE2.0 and full 16x Crossfire.

For your existing components, p35 is best bang for the buck.

Hello again. I have decided on one of these 2 boards. I am considering the more expensive one bc of the RAID control and more SATA ports but, It does not list 800mhz as a memory standard like the cheaper board does. I do not think this problem. Can you please advise?

!