CPU causing bluescreens

bossgatekeeper

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2008
hey guys ive been have a few problems with the new pc.
i get random blue screens so far the ones that have occur have only happened once these were jsut after loading a map on cod4, leaving a game on cod4, opening a link on a internet page and happened a couple times during avgs virus scan.
Ive tried formating 2 times now and the problem is still there, so im thinking its the CPU, MOBO or the RAM.

CPU intel Q6600
MOBO Gigabyte Ga-P35-DS3L
RAM 2 gigs 800Mghz Kingston

thanks

Gravemind123

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
Can you see what message the BSOD displays? I know "Page Fault in Non-Paged Area" was a ram issue for me, and most likely the ram is what would cause BSODs in this case.

I am almost betting that the ram is not set to the right voltage.

Enter the bios and press CTRL + F1 then go into MIT and set it to whatever the ram is rated for...

The default is 1.8 so for 2.0 you select +0.2, 2.1 is +0.3 and so on.

bossgatekeeper

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2008
iv tried mem test before but it wouldt boot from cd ill give it another shot though and i have the update for the mobo but was going to try installing that after doing some more testing ill check the rams voltage to and see whats happening
thanks guys

bossgatekeeper

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2008
the blue screens are that fast i cant read anything on the screen
i just checked the ram speks it says Each 240-pin DIMM uses gold contact fingers and requires +1.8V.

Single Power Supply of +1.8V (+/- .1V)
Power 1.872 W (operating per module)

ill try mem test after work again i cna jsut google memtest cant i?
then burn to cd?
and boot from cd?
thanks

bossgatekeeper

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2008
ok i got it to work and ran memtest on each stick of ram for 45 mins each all pass no errors
in the Ultimate Boot CD is there a motherboard test could the motherboard cause this
gotta love computers :)
could i try a cpu test on the Ultimate Boot CD aswell?
thanks heaps for the help

boonality

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2008
Kingston RAM traditionally works VERY well with Gigabyte motherboards. You MIGHT just be having a driver issue. But before we can determine that here are a few questions

What video card are you using?
What power supply are you using?
Are you overclocking your CPU?
Have you tried updating to the newest BIOS revision?

bossgatekeeper

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2008
the video card is a Leadtek 8800GT LZ just has a zalman cooler
the power supply i have is a CoolMaster eXtreme Power 550 watt (RP-550-PCAR)
never overclocked and i havent tried updating but i have the updated driver
i like to try one thing at a time now that the ram came back on ill move to the mobo and cpu

boonality

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2008
Well 550w should be plenty for your system, but it's constant power draw could be as high as 400w. And that coolermaster is a junk power supply. Do you have the capability to swap out with another power supply for a day or so to test stability? And you definately need to update the BIOS to the latest revision first and foremost...this can potentially solve all of your issues.

bossgatekeeper

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2008
yeah the ram is 2 x 1GB sticks
a friend also sudgested changing psu but my friend has an identicaly system execpt for the MOBO up from mine and a GTS with the same power supply
and another friend is running on a 350 watt psu with the same system
ill try the new motherboard drivers
thanks

Just because everyones else's PSU seems to be working correctly does not mean that YOURS is.

Lack of a good, steady, clean power source can cause all kinds of peculiar behavior. People have rebuilt their entire computer with all new parts before finally deciding on buying a new PSU, which would have fixed the problem in the first place.

boonality

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2008
MrsBytch, you are putting words in my mouth. When did I tell the OP he has to have a tier 1 PSU? I was stating that he/she should invest in something a little better quality though. Any good quality PSU will work, not specifically tier 1.

But it could just be a bad PSU too, nothing against the brand or anything on that one.

bossgatekeeper

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2008
now now
yeah i am using the nvidia driver for the graphics the leadtek ones arnt microsft certified but i dont think that maked much difference ill try the new motherboard drivers and if that doesnt work ill try scabing a bigger psu

boonality

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2008
For a quick side note, I was getting CPU error codes on my motherboard at randoma while back. Sometimes it would happen several times a day. It started randomly after the computer had been running flawlessly for over 2 years. Of course because of the error codes I suspected the processor... but it was HIGHLY improbable so I swapped out the power supply and just like a brand new computer again, the problems dissapeared.

bossgatekeeper

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2008
mmm yeah ill see if my mates at a local pc store can like lend me a power supply or something but sofar today the pc has run fine
its just anoyying halfway thrugh a virus scan or game to get a blue screen
plus i got this psu pretty cheap to get another one or a bigger one would be more then like 120 australian dollars but ill try the mother board drivers and then if it keeps happening ill then try new psu and then if that keeps going a new mobo
great fun
should of stuck to the xbox 360 lol
thanks heaps