What Happened to my system restore?

I recently went through a crash and recover. Now I keep getting a message
balloon that says I am running out of space on D: where my original copy of
Windows XP home is. I tried to disable the message, but when I boot up, it
comes back. It doen't show up when I am useing my main ID, but only when I
use my other user IDs.
I also can't find a restore point any more. In system restore it was
creating a restore point whenever I installed something new. Now it doesn't
have any bold dates nor will it create a restore point when I ask it to.

saltseller wrote:
> I recently went through a crash and recover. Now I keep getting a message
> balloon that says I am running out of space on D: where my original copy of
> Windows XP home is. I tried to disable the message, but when I boot up, it
> comes back. It doen't show up when I am useing my main ID, but only when I
> use my other user IDs.
> I also can't find a restore point any more. In system restore it was
> creating a restore point whenever I installed something new. Now it doesn't
> have any bold dates nor will it create a restore point when I ask it to.

Go to My Computer and right click on the drive select properties
this will tell you if you're running out of space or not. If you have
plenty of space then I'm not sure why it would prompt you.

System restore is notorious for becoming corrupt. You need to disable it
reboot and then re-enable. This will clear the restore files. You should
then be able to set a new restore point. Do you have monitoring (system
restore) turned on for drive D? Maybe these two things are related.

gls858

Hi,

This message would indicate that the D: drive is running low on free disk space.
If any monitored drive drops below 50mb's System Restore will automatically disable and
all restore points will be deleted. SR will reactivate once free space reaches 200mb's.
Check the amount of free disk space on D:.

--
Regards,
Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User

saltseller wrote:
> I recently went through a crash and recover. Now I keep
> getting a message balloon that says I am running out of
> space on D: where my original copy of Windows XP home
> is. I tried to disable the message, but when I boot up,
> it comes back. It doen't show up when I am useing my main
> ID, but only when I use my other user IDs.
> I also can't find a restore point any more. In system
> restore it was creating a restore point whenever I
> installed something new. Now it doesn't have any bold
> dates nor will it create a restore point when I ask it to.

Event Type: Error
Event Source: sr
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1
Date: 8/8/2005
Time: 7:23:45 AM
User: N/A
Computer: YOUR-7FE5AAA452
The System Restore filter encountered the unexpected error '0xC000007F'
while processing the file 'DESKTOP.INI' on the volume 'HarddiskVolume2'. It
has stopped monitoring the volume.

Data:
0000: 06 00 00 00 04 00 4e 00 ......N.
0008: 00 00 00 00 01 00 00 c0 .......À
0010: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0018: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0020: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
OK so now what must do? The previous posts were very helpful.

"saltseller" wrote:

> I recently went through a crash and recover. Now I keep getting a message
> balloon that says I am running out of space on D: where my original copy of
> Windows XP home is. I tried to disable the message, but when I boot up, it
> comes back. It doen't show up when I am useing my main ID, but only when I
> use my other user IDs.
> I also can't find a restore point any more. In system restore it was
> creating a restore point whenever I installed something new. Now it doesn't
> have any bold dates nor will it create a restore point when I ask it to.

Hi,

Delete the problematic desktop.ini file (it's not critical), then restart
System Restore on that volume.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"saltseller" <saltseller@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Event Type: Error
> Event Source: sr
> Event Category: None
> Event ID: 1
> Date: 8/8/2005
> Time: 7:23:45 AM
> User: N/A
> Computer: YOUR-7FE5AAA452
> The System Restore filter encountered the unexpected error '0xC000007F'
> while processing the file 'DESKTOP.INI' on the volume 'HarddiskVolume2'.
> It
> has stopped monitoring the volume.

> Data:
> 0000: 06 00 00 00 04 00 4e 00 ......N.
> 0008: 00 00 00 00 01 00 00 c0 .......À
> 0010: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
> 0018: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
> 0020: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
> OK so now what must do? The previous posts were very helpful.
>
> "saltseller" wrote:
>
>> I recently went through a crash and recover. Now I keep getting a message
>> balloon that says I am running out of space on D: where my original copy
>> of
>> Windows XP home is. I tried to disable the message, but when I boot up,
>> it
>> comes back. It doen't show up when I am useing my main ID, but only when
>> use my other user IDs.
>> I also can't find a restore point any more. In system restore it was
>> creating a restore point whenever I installed something new. Now it
>> doesn't
>> have any bold dates nor will it create a restore point when I ask it to.

OK ,but D: is my copy of my OS. it won't let me in there.
"Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Delete the problematic desktop.ini file (it's not critical), then restart
> System Restore on that volume.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "saltseller" <saltseller@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Event Type: Error
> > Event Source: sr
> > Event Category: None
> > Event ID: 1
> > Date: 8/8/2005
> > Time: 7:23:45 AM
> > User: N/A
> > Computer: YOUR-7FE5AAA452
> > The System Restore filter encountered the unexpected error '0xC000007F'
> > while processing the file 'DESKTOP.INI' on the volume 'HarddiskVolume2'.
> > It
> > has stopped monitoring the volume.

> > Data:
> > 0000: 06 00 00 00 04 00 4e 00 ......N.
> > 0008: 00 00 00 00 01 00 00 c0 .......À
> > 0010: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
> > 0018: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
> > 0020: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
> > OK so now what must do? The previous posts were very helpful.
> >
> > "saltseller" wrote:
> >
> >> I recently went through a crash and recover. Now I keep getting a message
> >> balloon that says I am running out of space on D: where my original copy
> >> of
> >> Windows XP home is. I tried to disable the message, but when I boot up,
> >> it
> >> comes back. It doen't show up when I am useing my main ID, but only when
> >> use my other user IDs.
> >> I also can't find a restore point any more. In system restore it was
> >> creating a restore point whenever I installed something new. Now it
> >> doesn't
> >> have any bold dates nor will it create a restore point when I ask it to.

Hi,

Is "D" a system recovery partition? If so, you don't need to be running
System Restore on it.

--

> OK ,but D: is my copy of my OS. it won't let me in there.
> "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Delete the problematic desktop.ini file (it's not critical), then restart
>> System Restore on that volume.
>>
>> --
>> Best of Luck,

>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>
>> "saltseller" <saltseller@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Event Type: Error
>> > Event Source: sr
>> > Event Category: None
>> > Event ID: 1
>> > Date: 8/8/2005
>> > Time: 7:23:45 AM
>> > User: N/A
>> > Computer: YOUR-7FE5AAA452
>> > The System Restore filter encountered the unexpected error '0xC000007F'
>> > while processing the file 'DESKTOP.INI' on the volume
>> > 'HarddiskVolume2'.
>> > It
>> > has stopped monitoring the volume.
>> >
>> > For more information, see Help and Support Center at
>> > http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
>> > Data:
>> > 0000: 06 00 00 00 04 00 4e 00 ......N.
>> > 0008: 00 00 00 00 01 00 00 c0 .......À
>> > 0010: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
>> > 0018: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
>> > 0020: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
>> > OK so now what must do? The previous posts were very helpful.

Yes, D is the recovery. but when SR is off there it is off everywhere.

"Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Is "D" a system recovery partition? If so, you don't need to be running
> System Restore on it.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "saltseller" <saltseller@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > OK ,but D: is my copy of my OS. it won't let me in there.
> > "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> Delete the problematic desktop.ini file (it's not critical), then restart
> >> System Restore on that volume.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Best of Luck,

> >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> >> Associate Expert - WindowsXP Expert Zone
> >> www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
> >> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
> >>
> >> "saltseller" <saltseller@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Hi,

Right-click "My Computer" and choose properties. Go to the System Restore
tab, click on the D drive, then on settings. Disable it here, it should not
affect any other monitored drive.

--

> Yes, D is the recovery. but when SR is off there it is off everywhere.
>
> "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Is "D" a system recovery partition? If so, you don't need to be running
>> System Restore on it.
>>
>> --
>> Best of Luck,

>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>
>> "saltseller" <saltseller@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > OK ,but D: is my copy of my OS. it won't let me in there.

Hi,

That would suggest that D:\ is the partition where Windows is installed. System Restore
has to set to monitor the partition where Windows is installed before it can be set to
monitor other partitions.

Go to Start - Run and type (or paste) %SystemRoot% then press enter.

This will display the partition Windows is installed on.