Sign in with
Your question

Transferring Outlook Express data from one computer to another

Last response: in Windows XP
August 2, 2010 7:34:56 AM

I helped a friend from out of town install a new HDD and reinstall all the computer's software. Everything went fine except for the Outlook Express files. I've done this on my own machine - set up the OE account, copy the OE Identities folder (C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{yaddayaddayadda}\Microsoft\Outlook Express) from old computer to new.

Problem - friend accesses email with a password. There are two other user accounts requiring password access.

Friend uses Yahoo Email for all current correspondence, but would like to be able to access old OE emails. The other two accounts haven't been used in a long time. What's the best way to transfer the OE files so that they're accessible?
August 2, 2010 7:57:46 AM

AKH775 said:
I helped a friend from out of town install a new HDD and reinstall all the computer's software. Everything went fine except for the Outlook Express files. I've done this on my own machine - set up the OE account, copy the OE Identities folder (C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{yaddayaddayadda}\Microsoft\Outlook Express) from old computer to new.

Problem - friend accesses email with a password. There are two other user accounts requiring password access.

Friend uses Yahoo Email for all current correspondence, but would like to be able to access old OE emails. The other two accounts haven't been used in a long time. What's the best way to transfer the OE files so that they're accessible?

[#0005ff]The data he transferred over quite correctly is useless until the accounts are reconstituted, including the password and then the historic data will be accessible. Those accounts can only be set up manually - I've never succeeded in transferring an entire account and in fact, it's better to set the account up first then parachute the files in to replace those the system set up when the account was created.[/#000ff]
m
l
August 12, 2010 7:06:09 AM

I don't know how quickly I'll be able to test the solution - computer is out of town.
m
l
!