Sign in with
Your question

swiftech 220 compact w/ q6600

Last response: in Overclocking
November 15, 2008 4:32:15 PM

As mentioned above i recently bought the swiftech 220 compact kit with a lapped q6600 g0...the question is how can i improve temps because im getting 34-29 idle temps on 1.31 vcore OC to 3.0ghz which wasn't that much better than my TRUE...Suggestions ?@@@!!
November 15, 2008 5:18:52 PM

If you've OC'd a Q6600 to 3Ghz, and idle between 29-34C you've got nothing to complain about.

I have a Q6600 G0 OC'd to 3.2Ghz, in a Full Tower Thermaltake Armor VA8003BWS model, with the Xigmatek HDT-S1283 CPU cooler installed, and I idle @ 32-35C on my cores.

EDIT: Ok n/m. Thought you were talking about a LAN case. Didn't realize that Swiftech 220 was a water cooling kit. ;) 
November 15, 2008 5:53:47 PM

I also noticed under SYSTIN (HWMONITOr) & system (SPEEDFan) it reads 88c...can that be the culprit ? and if so what is giving those temps ? my mobo ? or case ?

EDIT: N/M just faulty sensor but the question still stands as why I'm getting such high temps with watercooling
Related resources
a c 86 K Overclocking
November 15, 2008 9:20:08 PM

Thats a pretty low end WC kit, better than most kits, but still at the low end.

With that kit thats okay. If you had a better block/pump you'd see better temps.

And you didn't mention load temps, thats where it should shine. Load temps is where the magic is.

Also, Ambient air temps an air flow through the rad matters too.
a b K Overclocking
November 15, 2008 10:42:51 PM

Quote:

Also, Ambient air temps an air flow through the rad matters too.

Exactly!
a c 324 K Overclocking
November 16, 2008 1:03:54 AM

What pump are they bundling with the 220 kits these days?
November 16, 2008 1:16:30 AM

it comes with the Apogee Drive water block and pump...load temps are 47-49 c i think my TRUE got better load temps...What could be wrong ? I've applied minimal thermal paste and even cut the tubing shorter still no luck :/ 
November 16, 2008 1:18:49 AM

What bothers me is I've read forums where ppl get WAYY lower temps with this kit...This matches the performance of my true which renders the kit useless..Btw im on a 900 antec case with high cfm fans if it matters :sweat: 
November 16, 2008 1:49:41 AM

Turn off the heat and turn on the air conditioner, put on a parka and gloves.
Drop the ambient to 0c and see your temps drop.
a c 86 K Overclocking
November 16, 2008 3:04:43 AM

I just don't want to waste time on this one any more.

Reading forums with peeps posting temps with no solid info on their ambient temps, fans, diff voltages, clock speeds.... And diff temp programs etc. And fudging temps a few for, well fudging temps....

You have a very basic WC system. Granted better than TT or Koolance. A TRUE and good fans is as good as your system can be. Now if ya spent $300 + on a WC ststem then you could complain. You got quieter fans and the same temps, maybe, I'm sure even less. Be happy you didn't spend $300+.

Is the rad pulling cool air from outside the case? How good are your fans? Sure all the air is outta the rad?

Done.
November 16, 2008 6:07:52 AM

my fans are 81 cfm but they are pushing air out the rad not sucking in air..could that be the reason ?
a c 324 K Overclocking
November 16, 2008 1:43:14 PM

Pushing air through the rad is the most common fan configuration...some pull air, depends on your choice. Either way, we are trying to tell you that isn't the problem. But, here is the catch: you can have 200cfm fans on that thing and it won't do you much good if its mounted somewhere that the air flow is blocked through the radiator.

Another question, what is your ambient room temp? If your room is warmer than average, yes, you are going to have higher temps...you can only cool (at miniumum) to the ambient air temp with watercooling, and even that doesn't happen. Don't expect nice, cool temps if you have your thermostat set at 88F. Air that is carrying more heat requires more and more energy to absorb heat...meaning you aren't getting good transfer of heat energy from your rad. Air in your rad is a big culprit as well. Did you tip and tilt your system during leak testing to get all the air bubbles out?
!