Applying arctic 5

portal

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2008
So a lot of people say to make a thin line and spread it with a credit card, but a lot of people say to put a small dab in the middle and spread it with a bag turned inside out. What do you guys think?

E3110 with Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 pro

ohiou_grad_06

Distinguished
Myself, if I use that, I just used my finger, just be gentle and don't touch any pins. And be sure you are grounded first. However, last time I just went with the stock cooling pad, it does just fine.

Usually I just put my Artic Silver 5 in the center of my processor for about a size of a corn and then just press it with my heatsink+fan. It works always for me.
I have done it with my D805+Zalman cnps9500, and my E4300+Zalman cnps9700. I don't have any problem with this method of AS5 application.

SuicideSilence

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2007

The size of a CORN?
Thats WAY to much my friend.

I just put a small dab in the middle, and put the HSF on and let the pressure do the rest.

B-Unit

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2006
What I like to do is let a small ammount build at the end of the syringe and then just touch it to the processor in a pattern resembling the 5 on a die. Takes care of spreading while letting your heatsink do most of the work.

Waspy

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2005
A grain of rice is about all you should need. No spreading, let the heat sink do that. Used this on my video card, and it dropped my temp.s a freaking boatload! Was nice.

SuicideSilence

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2007

Agreed

parabola

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2008

The size of a corn kernal is perfect, or even a pea size dab of the compound. I use a corn sized dab, then spread with a q-tip to get a thin layer evenly spread over the cpu. My 3.21GHz X2 AMD 6400+ has been running at a steady 25c.

oushi

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2008
I've usually heard that the size of a grain of rice is the right amount, but everyone likes to do it differently. As long as the entire surface of contact is coated and you don't get conductive TIMs (eg. Arctic Silver 5) spilling out and shorting things you should be fine...

parabola

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2008

Yes too much is bad. The first time I ever applied the stuff I used way too much. It oozed over the edges and onto the mobo a little. Was a bitch to clean up. The danger of using too much is that it will actually act like insulation and defeat the purpose of using it in the first place. Just a little spread evenly is the idea.