Windows Xp boot failure

venkat karthik

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2008
I have a system which has a d101ggc motherboard and Pentium d 805 processor. I entered the bios and over clocked by ddr memory from DDR 333 to DDR 533.

I have a dual boot.Both Linux (ubuntu 8.10 hardy heron) and Windows Xp Professional.Both worked excellent with this overclocking,but cpu z reported the memory as DDR 466(made in bios as DDR 533).

I again went into the bios and overclocked memory to DDR 667,but when i booted Windows,The Windows Xp Professional logo comes and the system automatically gets restarted.There is no problem with Linux (Ubuntu) and it works blazing fast.

What should i do to run windows at that memory frequency?

Please help me.

venkat karthik

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2008
In the bios I cannot overclock the fsb. I only have a setting for overclocking ram and set ram timings, hence it is just changing the memory configuration only.
cpu-z reports that in my pc, fsb and memory run asynchronous.
I can also run in synchronous mode but my pc is slower at memory DDR 266.
I dont want to overclock the processor but just the memory.
Linux runs fine,but windows has a problem.

4745454b

Titan
If all your doing is changing the memory divider, I wouldn't bother with it. Anything faster then 266MHz will simply slow down as soon as it hits the FSB. The 805 uses an FSB of 133 actual if my memory serves. This means your memory is running at 2x that frequency, or 266MHz. If your bios allows you to, you could set it to 333MHz, but the data will slow down to 133MHz as soon as it hits the FSB. So why bother? Set it for as fast as windows allows, or just leave it sync'd at 133/266. I doubt there is a big performance difference anyways. (5-7% faster tops, depending on the app.)

You are pretty much doing exactly what causes problems the fastest when you are overclocking, running the memory out of spec. Running the memory over spec actually has very little performance gain, as it is all tied back to the FSB and ends up with that bandwidth no matter what you do. Put it back to normal and don't bother with it.

TRENDING THREADS