Sign in with
Your question
Solved

XP works on machine but Vista refuses?

Last response: in Windows Vista
April 17, 2012 3:28:51 AM

I have an eMachines T2042 2.0GHZ Celeron with 1GB RAM which as far as I can tell is within the requirements to run Vista

It has a replacement AsRock P4VM800 motherboard but it's all the original parts..

XP has and still runs on it with zero problems.

Then I tried to install Vista with my DVD which just boots up with totally random messages from "CDBoot: Memory Overflow Error" and "0xc000000e" then that finally went away and now I'm getting "0xc000000e9 unexpected I/O error has occured".

I'm not sure why if XP works, Vista is totally not liking the system.

The Vista DVD boots fine in my other PC and I even tried my Windows 7 disc and it keeps complaining with the same errors.

I tried Googling but keep getting fixes for when this happens after Vista/7 is installed and will not boot up not during an attempted install.

April 17, 2012 8:42:56 AM

Dual booting with Xp is causing the issue

disconnected the xp drive and started a fresh install on a separate drive, maybe it work for you.
m
l
April 17, 2012 9:01:41 AM

Sorry, I meant to say that I was attempting to erase the XP that was on the machine for Vista and not do a dual-boot, but you got me wondering, that maybe if I totally wipe the drive then try again, maybe I will get somewhere.

EDIT: It appears I must just be unlucky with DVD drives.

I tried 2 different PATA DVD drives, one being a DVD-ROM and the other being a DVD burner.

Then after wanting to pull my hair out I just said, why not just try the SATA DVD-Burner sitting on my desk.

And oddly enough within like 30 seconds the Windows Vista DVD booted like nothing.

Laser drives sure are giving me hell lately, I mean my other PC went through 2 old CD-RW drives that refused to read any CDs and freeze up the computer, now for some reason two DVD drives are refusing to read DVDs. Not sure if they just mess up over time or what.
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

April 17, 2012 2:46:24 PM

redpenguin2 said:

Laser drives sure are giving me hell lately, I mean my other PC went through 2 old CD-RW drives that refused to read any CDs and freeze up the computer, now for some reason two DVD drives are refusing to read DVDs. Not sure if they just mess up over time or what.

Might be a problem with the IDE connector on the MOBO or cable as well -- if you are having problems with several drives it could be a problem with the cable or connector on the MOBO instead of the drives. (which would also explain why the SATA drive worked since it is using a different connection and cable)
April 24, 2012 2:06:14 AM

Best answer selected by redpenguin2.
m
l
!