Sign in with
Your question

Help me piece together a new computer.....

Last response: in Systems
March 22, 2008 5:39:08 PM

Hello everyone!,

I think it is time for me to build a new computer. :bounce:  Here is what I want: An Intel Core 2 Cpu, An Nvidia graphics card, 2-3 gigs of good RAM, Fast Hard drive, Dvd burner with Lightscribe, A motherboard that will support a future Quad core...

1. I will be Overclocking as much as possible

2. I don't care if it is an SLI Mobo

3.I will be gaming on it

4.I want a case with the best airflow possible

5. I want to make sure the RAM will Overclock with my CPU

6.I have never Overclocked anything before so if I make a stupid comment or two yes I am a noob to OC'ing

7.As I said above I want a Motherboard that will support the Q6600 or the E8xxx series or any other quad.
(this list is starting to get long)

8. I want the CPU to give me the best Overclock bang for the buck. I don't have the cash to purchase the Q6600 right now.

More about : piece computer

March 22, 2008 5:39:45 PM

I was looking at getting:

Graphics: The 8800 GT 512MB, I'll probably put on an aftermarket cooler for it, so gimme some suggestions.

CPU: I wanted at least the E6600 but the price is to close to the Q6600

Motherboard: I have no idea, I just want one that OC's well

Hard Drive: One by Western Digital maybe? I just want a fast one at least 500 Gigs

PSU: ??? Gimme some ideas please..

OS: I am pretty sure I would get Vista Home premium 32 bit retail, and later do a dual boot with XP.

CPU Cooler: When I pick my CPU then I'll start taking suggestions on this.

RAM: Good for a OC

Did I miss anything?

I'll pick the monitor myself.

Edit:I'm not an Intel fanboy but they seem to have the upper hand in performence right now.

Buget is $500-$800
March 22, 2008 7:24:01 PM

See if u r on gamin..........going for dual core wud be a better choice....

about mobo nvidia's latest 790i mobo is probably the best out there for OCing but for a price, it'll set u back at around $350!
Related resources
March 22, 2008 7:35:46 PM

rajhardia said:
See if u r on gamin..........going for dual core wud be a better choice....

about mobo nvidia's latest 790i mobo is probably the best out there for OCing but for a price, it'll set u back at around $350!

$200 for a Mobo max
a c 121 K Overclocking
March 22, 2008 8:19:38 PM

If your use is games, spend your money on the vga card first. I suggest the 8800gts-512-g92. It is slightly faster than the 8800gt, and it already has a very good cooler so you don't need to spend money there.
If you really want the best, look at the 9800gx2, but I don't think it is worth it.

You don't need a high overclock to run most games well, FSX is an exception. Therefore, save some money, and get a P35 based board, they will overclock well enough. Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L is a good basic board.

DDR2-800 should be good enough. Get a 4gb kit of 2x2GB from a quality vendor.

A good psu is the PC P&C silencer 610. others are corsair and seasonic in the 500-600watt range.

See if you can find a E8400 or a 45nm cpu. Very few games can use more than 2 cores.

Look at the Antec 900 for a good, well ventilated case.

Get the Vista home premium upgrade version. It is usually cheaper, you get a retail product with support, and can order the 64 bit version from microsoft for a $10 handling charge. It requires a letitimate two step installation procedure.

---good luck---

March 22, 2008 9:21:53 PM

geofelt said:
If your use is games,
You don't need a high overclock to run most games well, FSX is an exception.

I am going to be using it for more than games. Like maybe some 3d animation and music editing.
!